The Goat Spot Forum banner

61 - 77 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
I wish I had looked at this thread sooner, I would have mentioned the camera I use. It was a bit of a pain to set up but being able to access and move it with my phone has been a real life saver. There's probably better options out there now though; I bought it almost 4 years ago already.

I have my home router sitting in a window facing my barn. In the barn I have an extender (from walmart I think) sitting in the barn's window facing the house, which is a span of at least 200'. The camera itself sits about 35' away from the camera and has to go through one wall.

Great suggestion with the mirrors!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Well I am done buying cameras this year lol I can not say I regret buying the Alro at all!!! But the pro was a little expensive (again I can NOT complain) but I think I’m going to buy different ones next year. I can use these for the outside because they are totally weather proof (I tested that out and worked great! And buy less expensive not weather proof probably able to move for the actual kidding stalls. Again if I had to do it all over again I would still buy them. Other then the WiFi it was so very simple to set up and access the cameras from my phone, and that is really saying something coming from me lol

·
14,726 Posts
It would be neat if the mirror idea works! Yeah I think it would drive me crazy if the camera doesn't move. I love being able to move mine. It's a cheap Tenvis, but it's what I've needed, well of course if the internet part would work when I'm away from home! I need to figure that out before I take it down until the next does are due in March.

We don't have electric in our barn either, but it's very close to the house, so I can get a wifi signal out there. I run a heavy duty extension cord out to the barn from an outlet on the back of the house to plug in my lights or I can do up to 3 heat lamps. I do zip tie my camera to the wall so I can move it as needed lol

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Yes!!! I remember reading about your zip ties and totally took your idea lol I ya to cut a few small 2X2s and then attach the camera mount to that and then I just drilled a hole in the top and bottom. I have the camera where I can see most of the whole area (except In the stalls lol) and then as I put girls in I’ll take them down and move over for now. That will save me a million trips out to check a doe in labor. Or both the ones that don’t really like me all that much :/

·
14,726 Posts
I'm glad you are using it! Makes life so much easier! I had my husband mount the mount that came with the camera on the wall, and I can use it for the 1st 2 stalls, but I like using the back 2 stalls lol! The back stall is the biggest, and more room especially for big does or does with multiples.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
So I don’t think the battery is bad on the one camera I think I have a bad charger! So all the cameras are dead and I’m waiting on a charger to get here.......in the middle of kidding lol guess I should have played with it more before I really needed it. Oh well! Live and learn ;)

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
So I don't think the battery is bad on the one camera I think I have a bad charger! So all the cameras are dead and I'm waiting on a charger to get here.......in the middle of kidding lol guess I should have played with it more before I really needed it. Oh well! Live and learn ;)
Have you plugged it up to another outlet to make sure your outlet not bad?

·
Premium Member
4,629 Posts
:clever: Thought my mom had a lamp go bad all of a sudden, so got another lamp, did not come on, brought over lamp from home, didn't work. Changed out the outlet and still none of the lamps worked. That outlet connected to a wall switch and the switch was off.
(doh)
Hahahaha! In florida our rental house had switches like that! Grrrrrrrr! I taped over them so they wouldnt get turned off. Such a pita!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Lol my sisters old house had a light switch she had no clue what it went to. But for are not the case here :p it is one of those USB cords (????) it plugs into a little box that actually goes into a outlet. It all worked for my phone but I can try another one just In case

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
They sure are! Mom had just moved into that apartment, senior community, less than a week earlier. Finally asked her when the lamp last worked and the answer was last night before bed when she turned out the lights. Knowing she is in the habit of burning the porch light once it gets dark, asked where the porch light switch was. Tah Dah mystery solved and the lamp has worked every since then.

·
Registered
263 Posts
You can zoom in on the camera, it took me a bit to find it again. Just double tap screen, sometimes helps to find them or see what the heck they are doing. 12x12 barn and I "lose" sight of the one cause she likes to sleep under the hay rack this last week. The other one is finally sleeping on the elevated straw sleeping platform - I was never so happy to clean little turds off there again!

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
Oh I’m happy you brought this up! I am back loving the camera lol after I got a new charger. They came in VERY handy! I ended up just using them on does in a stall that I knew were going to kid and that way I didn’t have to keep going and checking every half hour. A lot of the does don’t like me all that much so when I do check they usually stop and glare at me instead of doing what needs to be done.
For anyone reading this later on I fully recommend getting the extra charger that charges 2 batteries at once. I’m sure I just got a defected charger but I’m kinda happy I did because being able to charge 2 batteries at once came in so so handy! I might end up buying a few extra batteries so that I can swap them out and not be down any camera. The charger that came with the cameras can only charge while they are in the camera.

·
Registered
263 Posts
**Update for Arlo Camera Users**

Bought the new Arlo Pro 4 camera, it has a built-in spotlight with the same features as my other ones - two/way speaker, 2K video, cloud storage, etc - but this one can connect directly to your router, so no base or base upgraded needed. I have an older Arlo base that can connect up to 5 and only works up to Arlo Pro 2. Newer ones before the 4 required a new base and of course the older cameras do not work with the newer base station. So in case anyone is in the market to add cameras, this may be an excellent option. For me, I'll put the one I replaced with the 4, somewhere else.

I think it came out recently, so a bit pricey - tax and all at Best Buy was $211. I'm sure the price will come down soon.

Kelly

·
Registered
263 Posts
***Another Arlo Update - Creating Modes***

Felt so proud of myself this morning. Posted about receiving notification on only one camera on the Arlo hub on the Arlo Community site and the guy said to create a custom rule. So if you haven't done this, here's how:

Go to Arlo App
Click on hub name
Click on "Add a mode" at bottom

It gives you options on notify on audio or motion and then what you want to do - record or nothing.

I wanted one on the patio and not the barn, as the chickens go in there a lot and I was getting notifications about every couple seconds!

Kelly

61 - 77 of 77 Posts