The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to previous posts on this site we diagnosed our 3 month old male kid as having goat polio. We contributed to the condition so have been seeking to keep him alive to learn so we deal with it correctly the next time. You all are so helpful but we need continued help. The run down...

Last Sunday he was laying more in the pasture and not getting up. We noticed his mom was pushing him away and weaning him. (She is sound and milk ok)

We gave him shot of B1/Thiamine (2cc) & Exenel (1cc) all IM

We separated him w/ 2 other kids (3 mo) all being weaned and on Monday and Tuesday he appeared much better.

On Tuesday afternoon he collapsed. Ran him to the vet and vet gave him Thiamine/Dimethasome(Sp?) IV.

He was down and couldn't raise head Tues/Wed but Thursday he could lift his head, scoot his body by back legs and would eat hay, sm alfalfa pellets and drink out of the tub with assistance. We are drenching him with a cup of electrolytes/3 x day as well giving him a B1/T (2cc) shot every 6 hours since Tuesday eve.

Today he is in a sitting position but eyes are not focusing, he will not eat and he moves his head in a backwards glancing position.

We had hopes yesterday that things were getting better but today I'm sad that he may be too far gone. We wanted to do everything possible but at this point I'm not sure of our next step. The not eating is sad but in addition he has stopped bleating. So my very wonderful Goat Spot friends...is it time to put him down or do we try something different?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Listeriosis and Polio mimic symptoms..if he had polio he would have improved with thiamine treatment..he needs high doses of Penicillan to treat listeriosis..also if you only gave the one shot of Thiamine then he could have had a polio relaps, Continue thiamine along with Penicillan...Thiamine needs to be given every 6 hours until he is 100% for a 24 hour stretch..I always did an extra few shots to be sure..watch for relaps.
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

also Take his temp
What other symptoms does he have..?? Poop? pee?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for reply!

His temp has been between 100-103 so never considered Listeriosis. However we have not given him antibiotic or dimexisone (sp) since the vet gave it to him on Tuesday eve.

We have been treating him w/ Thaimine every 6 hours which is why today it was heartbreaking that he was worse after some improvement yesterday.

After reading your reply I have appt w/ vet in 20 minutes and will get some meds home to him!!

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
sounds more like listeriosis then polio since he improved with the antibiotic but then went down hill. You dont need a vet script for penicillin. So you can go to the feed store or TSC to pick that up.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was at work so did stop in at vet in town (we live 30 min away). I did have Pen G so didn't get that but did purchased a bottle of Dimexisone (sp - lol) from him for $13.

His recommendation was much like yours: Keep up the Thiamine every 6 hours. Adding a decreasing amt of Dimax 1/day, adding 5cc Pen G/ 2xday. In addition we also drenched him w/ a electrolyte-milk replacer mix which he is still swallowing well.

The little guy still has a bit of fight in him as he did not care for the shot. It took hubby a bit of time to get that one cocktail IM given.

Thanks again all!

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Higher than normal doses of Penicillan is needed to cross the brain barrier...the link tennessee meat goats has a chart to be sure your buck is getting what he needs to beat this..also its good to realize that it can take days even longer for you to see improvment..depending on his condition..keep up teatment for 24 hours after he is 100%...
If he is not eating I recommend making a mush out of alfalfa pellets and use a turkey baster to drench him...with my buck who had Polio I also rolled hay into small balls and pushed it into his mouth from the side..once in his mouth he ate eagerly...you may need to wait on doing hay until he is strong enough to hold his head up..keep up the electrolytes...here is a good recipe most goats love...best wishes
Homemade Electrolytes
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses( or what ever moslasses you have or honey)
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy..

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
according to the chart she gave enough penicillin for a 50lb goat -- so I think that would be accurate for this 3 month old (assuming boer based on your avatar)

really hope the Dex helps reduce that brain swelling so he feels better. :hug:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
An update: The little guy is doing better. If Tuesday he had a 10% chance of making it, I believe we are at 60% right now.

He spent the day under our hay feeder just chilling out. I was just out enjoying the evening and as I moved towards him he crawled his way into the open front shed and stood in front of the creep feeder. It was empty so I ran and filled it quickly before he lost interest. Anyway with my help he stood for a minute or so and ate. He was finished then so I didn't push. He moved away and I put some prairie hay against the wall and he happily started munching on it while lying down.

So thanks again everyone. We're following your advice and the vet's and will keep up the 5cc of pen G at noon/midnight, decreasing amts of Dex for the next 4 days, and B1/Thiamine every 6 hours.

It's exhausting and he's hating the shots but I think we're making progress. Trying not to get our hopes up! It's times like this that we remind ourselves that 23 goats is a good learning number.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Sounds promising...it can take several days to weeks to recover...sounds like he is in great hands...good job

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Monday eve update: Our little guy is doing much better. He is munching on prairie hay and continues to eat the prepared grain a little at a time. He is also standing and "slowly" walking around the pen. We have him secluded with 2 other kids born a week ahead of him. He mostly follows them around.

He still loses his balance and wobbles a bit but doing much better so thanks again to all for the advice and support!

My question for today... The vet has us giving him a last dose of Dex (.5cc) tomorrow at noon. We are also giving him a 5cc dose of Pen G at noon/midnight. We are wondering if we can also drop back to a 2x/day dose of B1/Thiamine. It's not that we don't mind driving the 30 minutes home during the day or waiting up until midnight but if we could move to a 2/day or 3/day dosing schedule for the B1 it would be nice. Thoughts?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
i think it would be fine to cut to 2 -3 times day..same time you give the pen...I dont think his issue was Polio, but Listerosis..so the B1 is a needed support vitamine..so it should be fine..if he happens to begin to loose progress then you can always boost it back up..
Im so happy he is on the mend...:) keep up the great work

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sunday Update: Up until this morning we thought today would be the last day for our 2/day PenG and BVit/T shots...

He has been playing, eating and looking generally like a healthy goat just moving a bit slower than the rest. However, this morning he looks frail. He is stumbling a bit and has lost a little of his vigor that he had gained in the past couple of days.

Does it sound awful that my daily moods have been wrapped up in this poor little guy? We have been making progress since we diagnosed him last Friday (8 days ago) with Listeriosis. Is this a small setback, par for the course or am I missing something?

Thanks again everyone!

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
its an up hill battle some times...I understandhow it can direct your mood. What all is being done at this point, daily?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Daily - 8am - Feeding 1/2# high quality grain feed + 5cc Pen G and 2cc of VitB/Thiamine

He has access to good hay in the feeder and fresh water.

8pm - Feeding 1/2# grain + 5cc Pen G and 2cc of VitB/Thiamine

A thought we have is that we have increased his grain too much and that we should cut back on that and allow him to fill up on the hay. I had only been increasing the grain at night for last several nights due to feeling that he was improving and needing the energy.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
too much grain could explain the loss of vigor if he is trying to digest more than he's used to, so cutting back might be a good idea, but it does not explain the staggering..unless its from growing weak? and not a Drunken type staggar...Might try C D Antitoxin a few days and see if it helps...offer green leaves with his hay..contains good stuff for him and its easy to digest : ) I also might add a Thiamine shot in the after noon...

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Im thinking also.Until he is 100% I woudnt make any changes in his diet, other than fresh leaves which are good for him...keeping grain intake low so digestion issues dont complacte things..his system is still very fragil....here is a quote from tennesseemeatgoats on the prevention of listerosis and polio..

Prevention: Feed your goats properly. No silage; the possibility of mold is too great. No moldy feed or hay. Clean pens. No sudden changes in types of feed (grain or hay). Lots of free-choice quality roughage, particularly in the latter stages of pregnancy. And don't overfeed on grain.
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
We read that too so thinking the same thing. He's definitely not swaying as much - more like a little weak. When you say green leaves what are you thinking? Do I need to go cut down some locust tree branches and get in there? Here in Kansas we're sitting at 100 degrees during the days so much of everything else is dead. The pasture he is in is a pretty grassy area but other than a few seasonal weeds its mostly a pasture fescue.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Most any tree leaves are fine..we are pretty dry here in Texas as well...Ok so you have afield of fescue...I was remembering some negative talk about fescue and goats so looked it up...here is something to read on the subject...
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/fescue.html
Since I am unfamilure with it I rather not make a claim one way or the other..but I would def. read the article : )

1 - 18 of 18 Posts