Seemingly incurable coccidia- and a rant- Final update PG 4!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by ProctorHillFarm, May 31, 2009.

1. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Re: Seemingly incurable coccidia- and a rant

Man sorry you are dealing this. What percent of Albon/Dimethox are you giving? And at what dosages? I use 12.5% Albon and dose at 5cc per 10 pounds.

2. rgbdab

rgbdab New Member

Nov 26, 2007
    TEXAS

I am sorry about your issues and just want to add that I give 10cc of Pepto every 2 hours until the runs are getting better.
    I would let him have the goat milk in a pan 2-3 times a day for his nutrition. None of my Feb or March kids are weaned yet.

Good luck. Denise

3. yonderhill

yonderhill New Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Upstate NY

I was just going to pop on and say to give 10cc every 2 hrs.. but Denise beat me to it:).. I gave 5 doses the first day and 3 the next.. it was the ONLY thing that worked for us... Hopefully it can help you.

Jennah

4. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

Ok, Now that you said you ordered something for his gut, I get that is what I was giving my guy. I bet it was like a Probiotic. :hammer: They just did not tell me what it was. Like i said that was a long time ago.

I sure hope he pulls out of this. He will be a hard one to keep weight on after all this.

5. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC

Have you tried Neomycin? It basically sterilizes the gut. It is not labeled for coccicidia treatment but Coni Ross highly endorses it for that use. Mixing it with pepto has cleared up anything scours related on our farm.

6. ProctorHillFarm

ProctorHillFarm New Member

Eeeps- so I sent an email to the breeder....I wrote it and read it over three times and ended up deleting A LOT of it, because while I know how it sounded in my head it could have been interepreted as an attack, which though I would LOVE to just let it all come out, I dont feel the desire to make this situation any worse than it has to be.

My husband said I have one last chance to be cordial and get an answer from the breeder to what we can do here to right the situation, or he is wethering the healthy buck we bought and giving him to a pet home, euthanizing the sick buckling, and selling all the does to backyard milking homes without papers :shocked:

I havent tried Neomycin- hasnt been suggested to me yet, is that prescription?

The corid should be here this week and I got an emergency 911 electrolyte and gut solution
    :sigh: I just feel so bad for him- he looks miserable. I dont know how long to try and fight this before we put him down. He doesnt play, jump, nothing, he just lays around inside and once in awhile he will venture outside into his pen and lounge in the sun.
    If I was seeing ANY improvement at all, I would feel better, but after a month of trying, and nothing????

7. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
  8. ProctorHillFarm

Thanks for that-
    what doesnt make sense is that the SMZ Trimethoprim he's been on should have cleared up anything going on in there, including the bacterial issues.

I dont think he will ever reach his full potential- this has definately affected his growth, and is certainly not going to be the show prospect herd sire we hoped for. He may end up getting wethered and sent off to a pet home if he makes it.... :shrug:

9. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC

I'm sorry you're having all this trouble. Last year we had a bad cocci year and had a couple kids that were stunted and never reached their full potential either.

This year has been a much better year. I've used SMZ Trimethoprim before as well and the Neomycin was much more effective. Neomycin and pepto has been a lifesaver when it comes to scours and cocci.

10. ProctorHillFarm

We havent had a single case of cocci here this year out of 40 kids- but ever since this problem arised Ive noticed a couple dirty butts, but they clear up on the second dose of SMZ and Trimeth :shrug:

I will try the Neomycin next- thanks for that suggestion!

- what stinks is after Thursday im not really going to be able to monitor is condition since I have surgery scheduled and am going to be pretty laid up for awhile. The hubby is going to have to do his best to treat/evaluate the situation

11. ProctorHillFarm

:veryangry: :veryangry:
    I am disgusted, I just received a response from the breeder

To sum it up it said:

By now he probably has an intestinal infection, and cocci isnt difficult to treat so I dont know why this has gone on so long. I dont know what you expect of me, and if he were here Im sure I could cure him RIGHT AWAY but I Have no control over what treatment he is getting or not getting ( :veryangry: ), and I am overreacting when I said that I dont think this kid will ever fully reach his potential after this difficult battle

Mind you again- my email was simplying relaying EXACTLY what we have been doing for him and all along Ive been asking the breeders advice for treatment, the only response I got was "Albon"....in my email I said I know the kid was sick when he left the farm, and what can we do about this?

UGGGGHHHHH

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Sounds like she has turned the blame in the wrong direction...."on you"... :( ..in which you have done alot for this little goat....and need to be commended for it .....not scorned..... :( ....that is very unfair of her ...to respond like that.....Did you send her all the proof you had?
    .....If you showed her the proof.... she should realize ....that you have done the right treatment with no response ...and have a vet in charge of the case......how can she say ...that cocci is easily treated...here is a hard case ....right in front of her.........I can't understand....how she can just ....turn her back on you :scratch: .....
    If.. I was the breeder and received something such as that in the beginning .....in a email or phone call..... I would want to do something about it ..I'd want to do everything in my power to help.........not criticize my buyer ..... you have made many attempts for advice from her...to help the kid... from the moment ... he arrived at your home....... I do not understand....why she is ignoring you cries for help...........I am so sorry......... :hug:

Have you taken his temp .....?

13. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.

I am so sorry that she is treating you like this. It now sounds like she NEW he was sick when she released him and is really surprised that he is still alive, so now she is trying to blame you for not treating it.

You hang in there and I will pray :pray: that he pulls through this and he will be a proven WONDERFUL buck.

Keep up the good work.

14. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas

When one of the goats gets the uncurable scours like this we always resort to primor tablets. They are kinda pricey, but they work. Depending on the size of the animal, we give 1/2 tablet to the smaller ones, a full tab to the big ones. It works for us! Just my humble and sometimes misguided opinion, Fred V.

15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

You know fred ...you may be on to something....thank you so much... for this info ....it may help the ones.. that cannot seem to rid there goats of cocci......I don't think it is misguided at all ....because they cannot seem to find anything that works.....and Primor may be the answer....there is one thing ...I did find is ....that it may not be safe for preggo animals... :hug:

I found this from the website below....
    The prescription antibiotic of choice is Primor. Administer one tablet orally in the morning and the second tablet by mouth in the evening of the first day -- and then one tablet orally each day thereafter -- for a total of five consecutive days. Primor comes in body-weight dosages, and the tablets are scored so that they can be split in half for accurate dosing. Endosorb, a prescription tablet that calms the gut, dissolves readily in ReSorb, other electrolytes, or water for easy oral dosing. If Endorsorb is not available, over-the-counter Tagamet 200 can be given to goats; kid dosage is is one-half of a Tagamet 200 tablet daily for five consecutive days. Use one Tagamet 200 tablet daily for adult goats. Pepto-Bismol given orally may also be used to reduce to coat the lining of the stomach and reduce gut irritation.

http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/artic ... sis06.html

16. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas

Gwen and I are fortunate enough to have a Goat Vet that was raised around goats in the hill country area of Texas where they raise a lot of angoras and meat goats. He's knowledgable and is open to "alternative" treatments because he knows that goats are the red-headed step child of the ruminant family when it comes to animal research into treatments of diseases. I hope that they can get a handle on the scours problem, it can cause poor growth in an animal at the time they need to be healthy the most. Good Luck!

17. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

My gosh Addie this is terrible! Have you tried Sulmet? I have had a few kids not respond to albon this year and switching them to the sulmet helped a lot.

18. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

You have a wonderful vet there ....thank you Fred......... :wink: :greengrin:

19. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio

That is incredibly disgraceful and highly rude of that breeder. No matter how nice or not these animals may or may not be, I would never buy from them. They are shameful. No matter how many goats they have, selling goats with sicknesses is just sickening!
    :angry:

20. ProctorHillFarm

OMG OMG OMG we had BERRIES Tonight!!!!!! :leap: :leap: :leap:
    for the first time since this poor goat arrived a MONTH ago, i have seen berries

So last night when I got to the barn- he was looking better than he ever had, still pretty pitiful but better.
    The only thing that seems to be making a difference is the gastri calm I added to his full regimen of goodies. It was labeled for our Great Pyrenees but we never ended up using it for her. Its essentially Zinc and Vitamin E and some other goodies- well after two doses he was looking noticeably better, and after his third dose, BERRIES! I have never in my life been more excited about goat berries :slapfloor:

Im going to continue the meds for a few days- at least until Fri am when I go in for surgery :tears: and hopefully he can come off the anitbiotics , I will still continue the gastri calm though as I think that really helped him in the quick turnaround.

Oh- and as far as the breeder- oh we have had all of our words spoken and I have made it very clear to them our business is through with them. I know they dont care since they will sell all of their goats without us or not, but I dont have a good word to speak of them and made it very clear that we were really disappointed with the way we were treated. They didnt care- which was obvious. So wether or not these goats remain in our herd, right now I dont know, my husband wants nothing to do with the herd they came from and wants to sell them all. He already had me take them off the website. :shocked:

And Ashley I tried to call you back- and I will try again, but I just want to give you a big GIANT hug and THANK YOU for your offer to help us with this little guy knowing the surgery was coming up for me. That was incredibly thoughtful of you. :hug: :)