The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hi i have a buck kid which is acting tricks on us. SCARY........:eek:

Long story to say but just read and answer........

When he was born he was heavy, not like my other goats when they were born they were as light as a feather! (but we were of course able to lift him up) Now he is about 2 weeks old and is not able to run and stays sitting most of the time and hardly ever walks or if we leave him to get something he just stays standing and starts screaming but my other kid goats run to me. :horse:

Also! he now has strange little bumps on his mouth he randomly started to have them, can anyone tell me why he has those bumps AND why hasn't he started to run yet and do i need to give him any medications so that he gets better or is it just common for him to be like that.
Thank You ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Can you get a clearer pic of his mouth? Could it be sore mouth? Does anyone else have them or moms udders?

Are his joints swollen?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No it was the first time happening ever to our goats and what do you mean by his joints?

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
no his joints are not swollen and what do you mean by ,soil selenium deficient?

·
2,203 Posts
I would proceed with Bo-Se and MultiMin if you have any, and start treatment for sore mouth. Is he on momma?

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
no his joints are not swollen and what do you mean by ,soil selenium deficient?
Some areas are deficient in selenium, a mineral that is necessary for healthy muscle. If your soil is deficient in selenium it can cause white muscle disease in new born animals. This article explains it better than I can because I've never had to deal with it. If you google 'selenium deficiency map' you will be able to see if you live in a selenium deficient area.

http://www.sheepandgoat.com/articles/WMD.html

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I agree...BoSe or Selneum vit e gel and he looks to have sore mouth...he is contagious if so ...you will need to handle with gloved hands and expect mom to get it on her udder. If he can be bottle fed until its cleared up woul dbe better for mom..
Camphor is good for sore mouth or tea tree oil in a bit of house hold oil to dilute. SOme have had success using Masitits medication called Today..

He is beautiful by the way ;)

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
He is a pretty boy. He looks to me like he's standing a bit weak on his hind legs. I'd definitely get him a Bo.Se shot. In the meantime he can have one vitamin E gelcap for 3 days. Just poke a hole in it and squeeze the oil into his mouth.

For the Soremouth, look in the dairy dept. of your feed store. they should have tubes of stuff for Mastitis that is called Today and Tomorrow. I prefer to use Tomorrow because it's a stronger antibiotic but, either will work. Just dab that on his sores with a cotton ball twice daily. It will help him heal faster. Be clean, careful, and gentle. Soremouth hurts like you wouldn't believe.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I agree. If his joints aren't swollen then I would give bose. If they are he would need to be treated navel ill most likely.

For sore mouth, I dab campho phenique on it a few times a day. That seems to dry it out

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i do not live in pakistan i live in new zealand

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
hey guys:fireworks: i live in nz so do i get the bose shot from the vet and does it cost or is it free:D bye waiting for an answer:wave:

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
here is the states we get it from a vet, not free ..not sure how it works there : ) maybe some one will chime in who knows better than I :D

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
I know in Australia It isn't Bo.Se (vitamin E and Selenium) it's Selenium and B12 instead. Not sure about NZ.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi , i went to the vet on friday about my goat and they gave him the selenium deficient (bo-se shot) and he never changed at all yet he is still weak, what do i do now.the vet gave me vytrate to give him . does anyone who has experience tell me if my goat will survive or not because nothing is changing in him. also the vet told me i have another appointment on sunday, he is eating very well and is healthy but only doesn't have that much energy from his legs . thank you

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
hi, i took him to a vet that treats all kinds of animals but mostly cats and dogs, so she gave the shot to him and said to come back on sunday(tomorrow) and if he doesn't get better, she told us to take him to a vet that treats (horses,cows and all other livestock. she also said that he has infection in his bones. thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts