Selenium and Vit D question?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Nov 18, 2008.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Ok.....we live in Northern Indiana and this is our first winter with our goats (2 wethers).....do I need to give them Selenium supplements or Vit D? I give them loose Purnia Goat Minerals (emptied bag into container, so I don't have label....didn't know if there is enough if any of these in the loose minerals).....plus they get BOSS with a little grain every day and then free choice hay.
    thanks for your advice!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I do believe it is Vitamine E not D

No I dont think you need to supplement them in anyway. Most goat minerals I have seen have selenium in it as well as vitamines. The BOSS has Selenium in it as well.

If you are breeding then yes you want to supplement near kidding time but other then that i wouldnt. Dont want to over do it

3. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Not trying to disagree, but it may be needed depending upon the quality of your water. I'm in the NW corner Ohio, and our water is loaded with clear water iron, which blocks a goats ability to absorb minerals. I just gave mine a dose in the gel form (all I had), because our water softener quit working, and our water turns a lovely shade of orange without it. It's been down for about 4 weeks now, and I noticed a drop in milk production. It made a difference, for me anyways.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she has wethers and their diet needs are slightly different then a doe in milk or carrying kids.

Thats interesting to know about the water

5. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I gave our wether a selenium supplement every year, even though we had minerals out for them. We're in a deficient area, so I know it's important to do.

That is very interesting about the water.

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I've had "boys" for as long as I've had my girls...The brand of feed I give has a balanced mineral content with selenium and E , their minerals are the same way...and I have high iron levels in my well water....I've not ever had to supplement with what they get already, and according to the "map" I'm in a very selenium deficient area. Maybe see what your vet thinks, since they have the minerals and you do feed BOSS they should be fine....Vitamin D is something they absorb from sunshine...so as long as they get "outside" time through the winter, thats asnother one you needn't worry about :wink:

7. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    We sometimes give our's the Selinium powder with vitamin E in it from Hoegger's.

8. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    Oops! Sorry about that, I totally missed that. Apparently I need MUCH more caffeine in my system before responding to posts!

9. grandmajo is correct about iron in water, here is a link to a good discussion about having a liver biopsy done 1 month after copper bolusing http://dairygoatinfo.com/index.php/topic,6597.0.html now I am not sure if iron binds all minerals but it sure does copper.

In my opinion if your area is low in selenium then all goats would need extra suppliments.....doesn't matter if its milking or not. Every goat here get a BOSE shot every year.

10. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I agree with MysticHollowGoats. All of our goats get the supplement every year even though their needs are different.

Jmho though.