The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall! Its about time to give 3 of my herd selenium injections but i guess its all Rx. Ive never had a vet out. Is it difficult to get? Wondering if im going to have to pay for a vet visit just to get the supplement?

·
Super Moderator
58,905 Posts
It is worth every penny to have a good relationship with the vet. I would get that vet out and get on his books. When you have an emergency, it makes all the difference in the world.

·
Shady Acre Homestead
14,283 Posts
You could use Vetserv, or just get some right from the vet. We have a good relationship with our goat vet who lives right down the street, but I just use the selenium gel. :)
How often do you give it? I have the gel as well...just not sure how often is good..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Selenium

I could not find the selenium butterscotch gel at TSC:(, that is once a month. I think i had something else that had selenium in it but it said daily so it wasnt worth the bother. Of course their minerals have Selenium but always heard they needed an annual shot.

·
14,615 Posts
Karen is absolutely right.
Develop a working relationship with a vet. I know they dont come cheap but in the long run they really are worth it.
Matter of fact I have a couple in my back pocket.
You never know when you are going to need script meds.
If you have a good idea on what they are & what they are used for he/she will be more likely to set you up.

·
Registered
818 Posts
How often do you give it? I have the gel as well...just not sure how often is good..
Yes, once a month is recommended. However, we usually just give it to non-breeding kids and wethers once every three months. Does get some once per month starting in July and until they kid. We also give 400i.u vitamin E gel capsules daily during the same time to help them absorb the selenium.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all, ill have to set it up for my next trip through. I doubt i could get one out short notice on the weekend. Ive moved about 4 hours from my goats so ill get it done in a month when i go back again to check on them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts