Selenium deficency? [sp?]

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Nubiansrus1, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    I think maybe my goats are not getting enough selenium in their diet. Ive heard some people say certain area dont get enough of it. Im in arizona is that one of them? My goats also dont get to graze off the land because they are penned, and there honestly isnt any green around where I live LOL. Anyways.... last year we had big healthy kids and the were all born quite easily. This year has been a different story, and were talking about does Ive breed for years. Not FF. And Im having low birth weights, weak back legs, and even a breech this year. Ive been giving the kids Nutri drench. But what can I do if the whole herd is lacking? Oh btw I have about 20 goats. Ive found paste and such things but their talking about giving paste to 20 goats everyday. Is there an easier way to add selenium and see if it helps. Oh... and I use nutridrench because bose is hard to get here. Any suggestions?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Nutri drench doesn't have enough selenium if they are real deficient.

I suggest buying a bottle of BoSe from vetserv and dosing everyone every 6 months.

I also suggest copper bulosing as well every 6 months.

You give the BoSe and copper a month or two before breeding and then just before kidding.

The gel is a good sub if you can't get BoSe in a pinch.

What kind of minerals do they have available? I suggest sweetlix meat maker its high in both copper and selenium. That or purina goat minerals. Leave out 24/7 they will eat as needed. Since you have a larger herd of goats I suggest putting out 2-3 feeders of minerals. They may eat more of it at differnt times and then nothing for months.

3. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

What is vetserv?

And which gel do you recommend?

Oh and I not all my goats are together. I have NDs that are by themselves, then my large breed horned and dehorned are seperate :) Not that it matters much lol

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I'm on my phone but when I get home I can get you the link - vet serv is a place where they write you the script and you can buy Rx stuff. It can be a bit pricy but totally worth it!

5. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I decided to get the selenium / vit. E paste... available at most of the online vet/ pet/ animal sites like Caprine supply, jeffers, hoeggers, valley vet... etc. It's just a by mouth supplement.

6. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    I agree with Stacey about getting BoSe from the vet or vetserve. They get it at least twice a year. My girls are on the SweetLix, free choice alfalfa & like yours, dont get much browse.
    I find that as they get older, the kids dont always hit the ground running& sucking.
    It's a complicated issue. Ive had bucks produce super vibrant kids & bucks producing almost lazy kids. Out of the same does.
    This is the first year I've had to pull more than one kid with a folded leg. Why I havent a clue.
    Same management same does same buck. But they have aged.

7. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Gonna go on an adventure and see what I can get today. Thanks for the info everyone. :)