The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I need some input on selenium deficiency. A lot if the symptoms I read about are reproduction related but my girls are 1 year old and not bred. What do I look for in goats this age?

I give them 5cc of replamin plus once a week, loose goat minerals (don't have the bag anymore and can't remember the brand), all stock sweet feed (~2 cups per day. It's cheap.. I'll buy something better when it's gone), 1-2 flakes of grass hay once a day, free access to 1.5 acre of mixed grass pasture 24/7. I've also bought copper bolus but haven't given it yet. Previous owner said it's not due until August and I wanted to see how they did with replamin anyway. Their coats are MUCH softer and longer than when I got them a couple of months ago. I remember someone on this forum mentioning the crooked tails being a sign of selenium deficiency.

I've checked a selenium map online and my county is considered deficient. I'm in Alamance county, central NC.

Thanks!
20190716_182948.jpg
20190716_182937.jpg
20190716_182929.jpg
20190716_183334.jpg
20190716_183024.jpg
20190716_182952.jpg
20190716_182909.jpg
20190716_182853.jpg

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Replamin you are giving should be keeping them good on selenium.

Beautiful girls, by the way.
Thank you! That's good to hear. I was worried that maybe I should be doing BO-SE as well! I am still not sure if I should give copper bolus in addition to the replamin. Since their coats are improving, maybe I should hold off until September and see how they look? Don't want to give them too much.. it's so scary to me since I've read that copper toxicity looks similar to copper deficiency!

It's been challenging trying to figure out what they need! Being a new goat owner and taking on goats that came with at least some degree of mineral deficiency has kept me stressed out for sure. I just want them to be healthy. I'm so ready to get through the mediocre feed and lose mineral I bought before finding this forum so I can upgrade lol

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do think they kind of have slightly crooked tails, especially the larger girl. She's on top in photo #5. Should I worry about that? Maybe just bad genes?

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Lovely ladies! They need copper now. Those fish tails are the indicator. With the copper it take a bit to work so do not expect results in a week. You just have to watch their coats and tails to see how often they need copper.

The hind legs that i can see... the pasterns look good and high. So they might be ok on the selenium right now.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
South west Alamance county. Hello fellow goat owner, selenium deficiency may become a problem for you. I have used the selenium/ e gel before, dosing about every 2 months. Though @mariarose, the mineral guru for our forum, suggested trying a selenium block. You can find these at Tractor Supply. I have not been using it long enough to positively tell you how effective it has been. My goats have licked a divet into the side corner, which tells me they are needing it. You might want to consider just adding one so they will have it just in case. Your does are lovely by the way.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lovely ladies! They need copper now. Those fish tails are the indicator. With the copper it take a bit to work so do not expect results in a week. You just have to watch their coats and tails to see how often they need copper.

The hind legs that i can see... the pasterns look good and high. So they might be ok on the selenium right now.
So, I won't be ODing them adding it to the replamin? When I got them they weren't in horrible shape but their coats were rough, short and kinda curled on the ends of the hair. Now after a few weeks of replamin it's so much softer and longer. There are still a few patches near the hips that look frayed. But I thought since it had improved so much already that maybe they didn't need the bolus. I started the replamin maybe 4 weeks ago.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
South west Alamance county. Hello fellow goat owner, selenium deficiency may become a problem for you. I have used the selenium/ e gel before, dosing about every 2 months. Though @mariarose, the mineral guru for our forum, suggested trying a selenium block. You can find these at Tractor Supply. I have not been using it long enough to positively tell you how effective it has been. My goats have licked a divet into the side corner, which tells me they are needing it. You might want to consider just adding one so they will have it just in case. Your does are lovely by the way.
Thank you! I'm definately in love with the chamois coloring and these oberhaslis in general. I'm near Eli Whitney/Snow camp so not far from you. The selenium block sounds like a good idea. I was thinking the gel and bo-se injection were my only options. I've been thinking about adding a salt block as well so I guess I need to go see what I can find at the feed store.

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Thank you! I'm definately in love with the chamois coloring and these oberhaslis in general. I'm near Eli Whitney/Snow camp so not far from you. The selenium block sounds like a good idea. I was thinking the gel and bo-se injection were my only options. I've been thinking about adding a salt block as well so I guess I need to go see what I can find at the feed store.
Oooo you and sandra and i need get together! She been wantin hursheys bbq in burlington. I live ten miles from sax/snow camp. :). My auntie used to live on lambe road.

Yes you can give the bolus even with the replamin. You will most likely just not need give it as often as say i do... i need dose mine every three months here. But just to make for sure and for certain... @mariarose and @ksalvagno i am tellin jer right yes?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Tri County Vet probably close by, sort of have an idea of general area. For the salt: Trophy Rock, it will say for deer, but is great. Full of trace minerals, naturally mined hunk of rock. Redmond Rock is another really good one also, it's mined in Utah if I remember correctly. Possibly a Cobalt block as well, also added one of those upon recommendation. Have changed my loose minerals from what I started with, added those 2 blocks mentioned above. Have been using the mined rock chunks for a while. I am experimenting with not giving Replamin weekly any longer. If the extra supplements work, will only be using it on an as needed basis. Still have to give copper bolus, though have already noticed I won't be needing to as often. Made a change to the type of hay I was using and hopefully gotten rid of some of the copper antagonist causing the need to bolus as frequently.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Oooo you and sandra and i need get together! She been wantin hursheys bbq in burlington. I live ten miles from sax/snow camp. :). My auntie used to live on lambe road.

Yes you can give the bolus even with the replamin. You will most likely just not need give it as often as say i do... i need dose mine every three months here. But just to make for sure and for certain... @mariarose and @ksalvagno i am tellin jer right yes?
Yes, Hersey BBQ would be so nice! :coolmoves:

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
Oh! Iron Will vet is awesome! They are a large animal farm call type vet.... but they are very knowledgable on goaties. :). And they are super nice... we prefer the husband.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
Thank you! That's good to hear. I was worried that maybe I should be doing BO-SE as well! I am still not sure if I should give copper bolus in addition to the replamin. Since their coats are improving, maybe I should hold off until September and see how they look? Don't want to give them too much.. it's so scary to me since I've read that copper toxicity looks similar to copper deficiency!

It's been challenging trying to figure out what they need! Being a new goat owner and taking on goats that came with at least some degree of mineral deficiency has kept me stressed out for sure. I just want them to be healthy. I'm so ready to get through the mediocre feed and lose mineral I bought before finding this forum so I can upgrade lol
I think that you're good on selenium right now but you need copper. Don't worry about copper bolus and Replamin together, two very differently utilized forms. I give both, not a problem. Copper bolusing is a slow release form as well.

In terms of selenium, it will be hard to know until they start kidding. For now, aside from Replamin, make sure you have a good loose mineral with a good amount of selenium. So no sucky manna pro when it comes to selenium, you'll want a fair amount of selenium in a mineral. This thread may help you, read through it and then comment if you still have questions:

http://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/excellent-minerals-you-know-how-i-love-me-those-minerals.194612/

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
So, I won't be ODing them adding it to the replamin? When I got them they weren't in horrible shape but their coats were rough, short and kinda curled on the ends of the hair. Now after a few weeks of replamin it's so much softer and longer. There are still a few patches near the hips that look frayed. But I thought since it had improved so much already that maybe they didn't need the bolus. I started the replamin maybe 4 weeks ago.
Replamin doesn't quite fill the liver like a copper bolus does, and you still need something to do that. :):)

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,389 Posts
The thread I linked for you should give you the answers you need.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Small world! We're all so close together!

Okay, so it sounds like I should just go ahead and give the copper bolus now. And maybe I'll buy the selenium block too just in case they need it. I wish I knew what was in my loose mineral.. I bought it at Piedmont feed and garden center. It was in a white/purple paper bag with a line drawn goat on the front and I went back recently to try to see the label on a new bag and it was gone! All they has was one small bag of the manna pro (they had both last time). Maybe they'll get the other back in stock soon. Anyway, at this point I'm assuming it could be sub-par because I did not do any research before buying it. Rookie mistake.

I appreciate the vet recommendation! I live less 10 mins from Tri-county vet off of Lindley mill rd. I took my girls there for CAE testing, fecal and physical exam when I first got them. I honestly was not impressed with the new vet I saw. I was expecting Dr. Redding but it was someone else.. I tried to talk to him about copper bolusing and mineral supplements and he told me they would do fine on just a loose mineral or block. Even though they already had signs of deficiency (He said they looked fine)! SO, I've been trying to figure out who I would take them too next time they needed a vet! I'll look into Iron Will.

So to recap:
Lets assume upgrade loose mineral
copper bolus
selenium block
salt block

Thanks everyone!! :ty:

·
Premium Member
4,672 Posts
hubby works part time a southern states so that is where i get my stuff. We use weathershed cattle mineral, they ordered me a selenium block and i got my redmond salt lick at tsc but i think i have seen those at ss too recently.

Dr John is awesome! He is a quiet man until you get him to talkin lol to start but he is super knowledgeable in goats. His wife i just do not care for but you may like her. They only do farm calls no office.... but it is not horrible expensive. When we first got our goats i asked tons of questions and then i had another problem and asked tons more... he is super patient and answers everything. They even showed us how to do all the things... hooves, shots blood draws. you can tell he loves his job by the way he treats and sweet talks the animals. Andd he always wants to peek at all our animals when he comes.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts