The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of trying to get BoSe. My vet is not easy to work with, they think we have no mineral issues here and therefore think it's unnecessary.

We had birth issues here dealing with selenium deficiency. I've been supplementing this doe to get her back on track. She gets BOSS daily and I gave her a dose of MultiMin90 a week ago. (She also had it 6 months ago). I also gave her a dose of Selenium Gel twice ( a couple days in between) in the last week.

My question, as I await getting my hands on BoSe, how often can I give the gel? Her tail, while better, is still bent. So I want to make sure she gets what she needs, I'm thinking she's pretty deficient if the MultiMin and the 2 doses of gel haven't fixed it?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Since you just gave the second dose of multimin90 and two doses of oral gel in the last week then you won't know if she needs more. It will take at least a month to see improvement. These aren't fast acting supplements.

When is she due to kid next?

I would continue giving the oral gel monthly (and keep the loose minerals available) and re-assess in 3 months.

No need to get a Bo-Se prescription if they have already provided a MultiMin90 prescription. MultiMin actually contains a higher amount of selenium than Bo-Se.

(If you give 2.5mL per 100lbs of Bo-Se - you've given 150 mg of Selenium, if you give 1.0mL per 100lbs of MultiMin - you've given 5mg of Selenium.)

What Multimin doesn't provide is the Vitamin E necessary for Selenium absorption so it's advisable to give Vit AD/E oral gel, injection, or Vit E capsules simultaneously. Unlike Bo-Se which has the selenium built right in.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since you just gave the second dose of multimin90 and two doses of oral gel in the last week then you won't know if she needs more. It will take at least a month to see improvement. These aren't fast acting supplements.

When is she due to kid next?

I would continue giving the oral gel monthly (and keep the loose minerals available) and re-assess in 3 months.

No need to get a Bo-Se prescription if they have already provided a MultiMin90 prescription. MultiMin actually contains a higher amount of selenium than Bo-Se.

(If you give 2.5mL per 100lbs of Bo-Se - you've given 150 mg of Selenium, if you give 1.0mL per 100lbs of MultiMin - you've given 5mg of Selenium.)

What Multimin doesn't provide is the Vitamin E necessary for Selenium absorption so it's advisable to give Vit AD/E oral gel, injection, or Vit E capsules simultaneously. Unlike Bo-Se which has the selenium built right in.
Yes I gave her the A/D/E gel with the MultiMin.

She already kidded, it didn't go well and all signs pointed to deficiency. SO I'm trying to bring her back up to proper levels.

I know I've had some that had the crooked tails and they righted themselves pretty quickly after giving the gel. I jsut don't want her to go without what she needs. I'll just continue to dose her monthly with the gel then.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I decided to skip the BoSe. Instead, I got a horse supplement powder that has Selenium (through the yeast form), E, and Zinc (we feed a lot of alfalfa here). I will mix a little in their loose minerals so they have a steady amount of selenium vs the boost that BoSe or MultiMin gives. I read it stays in their system maybe a month...I feel better with them having steady levels throughout.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Oh so share this powder! I give BOSE and a loose selenium salt and still end up with some that show some deficiency

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I think it is made by
Farnam. I've seen it in TSC in the equine section?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Its Animed Vitamin E and Selenium with Zinc.

I had to order online as TSC didn't carry it.

I too had selenium salt out but....so I'm going to try this out. Along with my MultiMin I have.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do think there is another brand that is Selenium and E. It's a green and red label.

Not ALL mine show the signs. This one doe seemed more severe than the others. The second doe was just minimal. Everyone else looks good but I have a couple questionable tails (and they have LONG hair on these two tails so I have to feel them)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Thank you! I’ve been debating on giving more BOSE but this sounds like a better solution. Same as you the majority is fine it’s just a few

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm hoping it's a better solution. Mine gets here Monday so we shall see! I need to play around with how I give it to them, whether in their minerals (which I'm highly leaning to) or sprinkling on their feed...but they don't eat on their own, they eat at a trough...so I wouldn't be able to see how much one gets. Right now they're all downing their minerals (everyone pregnant or just freshened) so I'd imagine they'd get it that way.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Let me know how it goes. I went to tractor supply today to see if they had anything like that and couldn’t find anything. I don’t feed my does grain so it would have to go in the minerals or just out for them. Heck maybe even in the water lol

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I've seen that selenium yeast on Amazon and was wondering how good it would be. I'll be watching while you're trying it. Please keep us posted.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
Could you share pictures of your does? So we could see what you are seeing?
Also a picture of your multimin that you are talking about?
Thankuou

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Sorry I missed these replies. I'll see if I can get some pictures.

So they've been on it almost 2 weeks now? I think we might be seeing some results. So what I do is take our scoop and get fresh minerals out (We are currently on Vitaferm Concept-Aid) and I'd say it's about 1.5# maybe. I add 4 scoops of the selenium stuff and mix it all in. I also add dry probiotics in there as well. I dump that daily to every other day in their trough. They eat it up.

The results I'm seeing are mostly in their coats. I had 3 of them that had really weird coats...what I'd call wavy? It wasn't copper as I'd bolused and the hair wasn't hooked, I know the difference. It was like patches of hair would go one way and another patch would go another way. I have pics somewhere of that and I can post later. But, coats are laying smoother, softer, and though they were shiny before, they look shinier. One, her tail that was off to the side, is normal now. The oldest one, still has a crooked tail but it may not be selenium....though she was the one I thought had a bad deficiency so maybe it's taking her longer. The third tail...looks less "bent" and I've seen lots of improvement in her coat.

Now some of this may be from the selenium, but it also has E and Zinc in it. SO I'm not sure what all it's attributed to but it's doing positive things.

MultiMin90 is what you can google. It's a mineral injection for cows that contains chelated Copper, Selenium, Zinc, and Manganese I believe. I try to give it a month before breeding and then sometimes at kidding if needed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts