Selenium E Gel

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by HoosierShadow, Feb 2, 2011.

1. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    So we decided to order the gel instead of BoSe for now. It says that it should be the sole source of selenium. But there is selenium in our feed. I'm sure BoSe might have the same warning? I'm a dummy, but can't remember if selenium is in the loose mineral, and if so, how much.

Since they get selenium in the grain and most likely in the mineral, should I just give them a smaller dose?
    I am wanting to use this for newborns and does right after kidding, so this issue would be more for the does safety since the kids obviously don't eat grain when they are born.

And reading the info on it at Jeffers website, I didn't see anything pertaining to how much I should give, just this:
    80 ml dial-a-dose tube contains (16) 5 ml doses.

What do you give the kids, and what to give the does?

Sorry for all the questions, I was prepared to get BoSe, but hubby wants to try this and see if we like it.

Also if you have used the gel you can give a yay or nay on what you thought about it :)

Thanks!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Re: Selenium E Gel question

Never used the gel....so I can't help there... :(

You are not a dummy ...you are very smart to ask questions...first....I don't see that as being dumb... :hug:

With your lose salt and minerals if it is for cattle or goats it will have selenium in it...you will have to look at the bag it will show how much on there.... cause I don't know what brand/kind you are using....

How do you know your animals are lacking are they showing signs? I don't give extra selenium unless they show signs or I know they aren't getting the recommended source...with a deficient area zone....

With the Bo-se.... it is controlled better....and you can give a very small amount.... that why... I use the shots...instead of the gel....I can control it better... :wink:

3. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky

Thanks so much Pam :) I mainly want it for newborns as we are in a selenium def. area. But also in case a doe has a hard time kidding, I figured it would be a good idea to give them some, just a smidge of any. I want to make sure the kids get it. And if we ever have a weak kid... We have 3 does due in in about 3 weeks, so I want to be prepared :)

Hubby wanted to try something that didn't need an RX to see if it works and if it's worth going that route, so if we ever need it and can't get an Rx then we know what we can use.

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

When I used the gel I gave it the month before the does were kidding (I think the tube says 5cc) and then I gave it to the kids if needed after birth (think the tube says kids 3cc)
    I find the BoSe to be better but the gel does work but if very deficient (ie Floppy Kid) then its not a fast enough obsorption and I suggest the BoSe injection. But as a management it does work ok

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Your welcome...hope it works out well for you and your goaties.... happy kidding... :hug: :wink: