Selenium ? for fellow Hoosiers

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by cdtrum, Feb 18, 2009.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Do any of you living in Indiana or nearby areas give selenium supplements? I have two wethers and wasn't sure if I should be concerned about this or not....also, what about copper or zinc.....I do have loose minerals out for them...I am fairly new to goats.
    Thanks, Denise from Northern Indiana

2. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    I'm not in Indiana, but pretty close. Our general area is not really selenium deficient. For your wethers, their minerals/feed contains plenty of selenium to keep them at a normal level--especially if you are feeding BOSS.

I've had goats here for most of my life and I have only ever used selenium supplements on pregnant does.

3. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Oh, I meant to add that you could also ask your vet if he/she gives many selenium injections to goats in your area and if so, under what circumstances.

4. grandmajo

grandmajo New Member

Oct 14, 2008
    Pioneer, Ohio
    I'm in NW Ohio, pretty close to FunnyRiverFarm, and I do pretty much the same as her. Our water here has a lot of iron though, like it turn orange after it sets for a while, so I do my best to give a mineral that doesn't have iron in it, which I've read blocks the absorption of copper. I give them water from the house that's been through the water softener, and the loose goat minerals made by manna pro.

5. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Thank for your input....I will ask the vet next time I talk to him...poor guy I have really been bothering him lately....I know that is what he is there for, plus my husband figures we paid for the very nice big lighted sign the clinic just had put up....haha! I did not think about the water, but I do give them water from the house because the toots only like warm water!

6. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    A general rule of thumb is that if your have sandy soil you are selenium deficient. If not, you're normally fine.