The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all
Wondering if any of the selenium/vit e crumbles or powders would be effective and safe as free choice ( vs adding to feed or bolusing. )
Im likely soil deficient. Daily my girls eat a lot of hay (alfalfa and timothy) vs lots of graze.
i have purina minerals free choice for them as a start.
Thoughts?
Ty

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you already have selenium issues, you'll need to supplement first before the selenium salt as maintenance.
My breeder got back to me (only about 2 hrs away from me) and said her herd has not needed selenium and copper bolusing outside of free minerals.
so maybe my best approach is to use good mineral and watch for issues vs just dosing
Ty

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have to be careful. Selenium can become a toxic dose. Free choice is not a good idea.
Ok thank you. The toxicity range does seem pretty narrow
Since in new to this and a nurse i feel great need to have my med stock in order

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
Your breeder is NOT you. Every situation is different. Where you buy your hay, what browse you have, what type of grass, what your water source is - these are small differences that can cause deficiencies very easily! Post some photos of them and I can tell you if there are signs of selenium or copper issues.

If not, then you’re fine with just your loose mineral :)

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I get a loose selenium salt like toth has just its only selenium and zinc, not a trace mineral salt with added selenium. I just put it out free choice along side the loose minerals.
I had made a post a few years back about selenium and someone had shared a supplement they feed to their goats for extra selenium. When I get time I’ll see if I can find it. I think it was a powder or a pellet and you just mix it into their grain.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts