Selenium. How much and how often?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by CrockettsLastStand, Jul 21, 2010.

1. CrockettsLastStand

CrockettsLastStand New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Epping, NH
    My Nubian had a Bo-Se injection prior to me purchasing him. He's a little over 3mos old now.
    My Nigerian Dwarf is now a little over 5mos old and he's had one back in April

Is it ok to give them Selenium tablets as a preventative measure for Selenium deficiency? They get free choice minerals.

I found these Selenium tablets that are 200mcg. Do you think it's safe to give them this, and if so.. how many and how often?

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I do NOT mess with selenium pills. There is not way to accurately dose with them and I would only advise using them in an emergency.

I use injectable selenium (BoSe) on my goats. 1cc per 40 lbs every 6 months. Sometimes every three months, but only in goats with obvious selenium issues.

Selenium is highly toxic if you give too much and will cause sudden death if you do give too much.

Also, never use the Injectables E-Se or Mu-Se as those both have high concentrations of selenium in them and the dosage is much smaller.

If you are feeding grain, and/or minerals you shouldn't have a BoSe issue with a wether because he is not breeding, or lactating and therefore does not use as much minerals. Not saying that a wether will never need it, but it's not as common

3. CrockettsLastStand

CrockettsLastStand New Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Epping, NH
    Great. Thank you. Just been spending time these past couple days reading on every common health issue for goats and making a shopping list of what to have on hand in case of emergency, because I never want to be caught unprepared ever again and while on valleyvet I saw selenium E paste, later I was in walmart picking up B complex tablets and saw the selenium so bought it because I remembered reading about deficiencies, etc.. and saw these tablets as cheaper alternative and I get more of them.

Talked to sales rep at feed store to see about them ordering some meds, antibiotics, etc for me so I won't get wacked with high overnight air shipping charges by ordering online

4. elchivito

elchivito Active Member

Apr 18, 2010
    Runaround, i'm curious. When you say "obvious selenium issues", what outward signs are you talking about? Thanks!