selenium paste dosage

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by 4kids, Jan 23, 2011.

1. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    What is the dosage for selenium/vit e paste? Do you give it 4 weeks prior to kidding like bose? or closer? Have people had good results?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    its on the tube I think its 4cc

I used it before I got BoSe and gave it to the kids after born

it says to give as the only source of selenium and you give it once a month

3. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    I guess I will talk to my vet about bose. My issue is getting an accurate weight. Some of my girls are huge with kids and I don't want to go picking them up. I never feel good about my weight tape measurement!

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I would just guess. I usually don't give over 2cc's unless they are a very big doe and I am Positive they are over 80lbs. (For everyone reading this I am talking about ND's not large breed who weigh over 80 easy)

5. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Okay- the tape mesurement it is. I don't think any (well maybe Clem and Red Diamond) are over 80lbs. Red Diamond is pretty big and solid! Clem isn't far enough along for Bose- and well she's a big girl anyhow! I am assuming it is better to guess a little under than over since they can overdose on selenium.

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yeah I usually estimate mine between 40-60lbs

Angie weighed in at 56lbs when she was sick so Im not to far off on my estimates

7. milk and honey

milk and honey Senior Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Everett, WA
    I heard the tape measurement thingy doesn't work on NDs

8. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    So based on my Goat-Notes...

Liquid (Rx) BoSe has a dosage of 1cc per 40lbs

The Selenium/Vit E tube (gel/paste stuff) states that 5ml = 3cc's of liquid Rx.

So for my fullgrown nigi's I'd only dose about 2cc's.
    For my babies I just smear a teeny-tiny bit from the tip of the tube onto their tongue (mom also gets her regular dose before kidding).

Hopefully that helps... :wink:

PS. Just another note: Each 5ml dose of paste/gel contains 2.5 ppm of Selenium. Anything higher than 3 ppm is considered a toxic level to goats.

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Traci while that dosage makes sense where does it say that?

you also have to remember that ingested Selenium is going to be different then injecting. We also dose higher with most things thats ingested than injected because of the metabolism of goats

10. Bellafire Farm

Bellafire Farm New Member

Jan 5, 2010
    NW Oregon
    Apparently on the "label"... but I buy almost everything from jeffers or valleyvet online so it was probably from the "label" info given via them. ???

I just recently made notes about the 3ppm toxicity level... have yet to determine if there is a weight that needs to be equated with that 3ppm amount. I mean, if I have only Nigi's then is there toxicity level lower than that??? Not sure, still studying that part out... feel free to input any info you have... my education & notes are constantly evolving :wink:

11. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    Thank you for this post, it has been very helpful. I have been unable to obtain Bo-Se so this is my next best thing to try.

12. jay13

jay13 New Member

Apr 12, 2009
    Central NC
    Epona, have you tried Vetusa? They only require a scrip for the pain meds and stuff I think.

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    you mean vet serv usa?

You can purchase there without a vet script - they have a vet write one for you.

14. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Stacey - I signed up but since I don't have voice mail/answer machine on my home phone if they called I probably missed them. So, hubby is working nights again and I have his cell during the day so I messaged them, but haven't heard back yet <I just did it last night>, so I might call tomorrow, fingers crossed, because I don't want to have to pay a vet almost $100 just to come out and look at our herd so we can get BoSe! I'd have paid $40 for the farm call, but ridiculous all the extra costs for coming out to see a herd who appears healthy.