Selenium/Vitamin E

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by NubianLover, Oct 10, 2010.

1. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    I haven't read up much on using selenium/vitamin e, but should I be giving this to my goats on a regular basis?
    What about copper bolus? Do they only need that certain times of the year? I know some places goats need it more than others, but have never found a chart in any books I have read.
    Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yah you cant really say this is the set schedule for all goats. SO you wont find a chart (especially not in books)

I feed a loose mineral that has selenium in it. I give BoSe shots when I see the goats need it and I do the same with the copper.

Some goats need copper bolus every 3 months others every 6 months and some never.

3. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    I found the topic of copper defienency last night after asking about the copper :oops: but don't remember seeing one on selenium. are there signs there that would tell me if they are deficient and need it?

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sign of Selenium deficiency usually includes skin disorders, trouble moving...in adults, with newborns it is called White Muscle disease, lowered conception rate and lowered milk production.

According to the Selenium map on the back cover of Hoeggars Supply Co catalog, Nebraska is in an area of the country that has adequate levels of Selenium naturally in the soil...your goats will do very well eating your native hays, pastures. Supplementing them with any selenium/E may not be a good thing as it can be toxic if they don't need it. Providing a goat mineral freechoice to them should be enough.

5. NubianLover

NubianLover New Member

Sep 19, 2010
    Nebraska
    Thanks Liz!
    This is all still so new to me. It seems there is so much information to learn. I suppose that is because I am so used to horses and this is such a new experience for me!