The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I haven't had any issues with babies and crooked legs thank goodness. I was giving my does a second dose of Selenium/Vit E gel before their due dates and noticed a warning on the label about overdosing - what would be too much?

I usually give the does a couple doses of gel beforehand spaced two weeks apart, (5 ml each) everyone usually gets a yearly dose before breeding also. The babies get a dose on the day they are born. (2 ml) Is that too much? Too little?

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
If you live in a Selenium poor region...then dosing monthly is a good idea..I don't think I would go twice a month, toxicity has the same symptoms as the deficiency, so it would be hard to know if you are over doing..its better to follow the dose on the tube..
..2 ml for newborns and 4 ml for adults once a month is the dose.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Glad this was brought up. I was wondering myself. I kept my does on goat minerals (with selenium) through their pregnancies and had none of the problems of previous seasons. No bent legs or retained placentas. But we did have a kid die and suspected white muscle disease. We gave the other kids ground up selenium tablets (would have taken something like 20 tabs to equal a Bose shot) and nobody else got sick.

I was wondering, if there is a daily dosage? I mean, if they are not in a deficient area (we are) would they not be getting it every day? I do not have the minerals in the house to check exact amounts but I believe the selenium is very low.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Selenium Vit E gel can be given monthly../BoSe I believe is once or twice a year...

other than what might be in the mineral..daily doses is not recommended///

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Thanks. Judging by the problems we had last season that we did not have this season; I am sure the selenium thing is a big factor. I am just learning about it. I think I will try the gel on the kids next year.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Its all new for me this season as well...last season was every kid pulled, some with bad legs...a few placentas retained....this season went a bit smoother..but still need improvement...but way way better than last season...it is a learning adventure for sure..

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
Bo-Se can be given once a month if you are in a very selenium deficient area. It is believed that it goes through the system in about 3 weeks. I only do it twice a year (pre-breeding and about 3 weeks pre-kidding) and I think that is the norm unless you are trying to fix a goat that is very selenium deficient. I know of people who will dose it once a month to try to help fix weak pasterns caused by a selenium deficiency, but I personally wouldn't recommend it without asking your vet first. I am in an area that really isn't selenium deficient, but most of the feed my goats eat comes from other areas, so the extra selenium helps them.

You can have your goats blood tested for their selenium levels, through your vet if you are concerned about an overdose.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not very concerned, just the label got me wondering. I was doing it once yearly at breeding time plus twice during pregnancy before kidding, and then one dose for the kids at birth. That seems to be working, i haven't had any white muscle disease symptoms so I would guess i'm okay.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts