Selenium???

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by lesserweevil, Mar 5, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    I cant get selenium here... in any form... I have Demi due in April, and Harmony maybe due sometime... between now and then, who knows. And... I havent got any selenium or any way of getting it and with all these horror stories from people with goats with selenium deficiencies... I am getting worried!!!

What to do? :shrug:

(I'm in Ireland!)

2. Tog Lovers

Tog Lovers New Member

Oct 10, 2007
    Greensburg, PA
    I would research and see if you are in a selenium deficient area. Maybe you cannot get it because it isn't an issue in your area. I googled a while back and found some pretty good maps of my state that showed the selenium levels in the soil. Can you call a vet and just ask about selenium levels there? I know some vets here are more than happy to do phone consults.

3. karmouth

karmouth New Member

Dec 1, 2008
    ocala, FL
    you can order a gel from Jeffers or Hoeggers . You can also give the girls some boss they are high in selenium.

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    We dont have BOSS over here either =[

LW

5. bheila

bheila New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    Kent, Wa
    What? You don't have Black Oil Sunflower Seeds in Ireland?

6. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Never heard of them before coming to TGS. Well GoatWeb. Its not something that's available over here. Ireland is very... simple in a lot of ways!!!

LW

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Do you have a place that sells birdseed? BOSS is a major birdseed ingredient.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Have you tried to call your veterinarian , to see if they can get at least bo-se?

9. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    could I give them birdseed then?
    LW

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Honestly I don't know if they need birdseed or if the other seeds in it would be good for them. I was saying BOSS is sold as birdseed here. Boss is elongated little black seeds, some having tiny white stripes. I was thinking you could check with birdseed suppliers to see if they have sunflower seeds in their mix. maybe they would sell the BOSS separately

You might contact this person and see if they have any or know where you might find sunflower seeds for animal feed.
    Robert Hoey & Sons
    212 Moorfields Road, Kells, Ballymena, Northern Ireland, tel: (028) 258 91924.

They are listed on the GM-FREE IRELAND website for Non GM animal feed suppliers.

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    YOu need Black Oil Sunflower seeds. they are all black sunflower seeds.

Maybe you can get some and start planting your own sunflowers - and you get a sunflower garden out of it and the seeds