The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I am really working at getting the hang of this goat mom business. It's been a steep learning curve, I tell you what.

I now have a question about selenium. I have 4 doelings who are 10 months old. I've checked the selenium map. I'm in south Nevada County, CA. According to the map, we're slightly deficient here (mean = 0.3 ppm). Their previous owner said to have loose minerals available. I do (Sweetlix Milk Maker), but the girls don't touch it. They are brushers, so they are out and about eating all kinds of forage, but I do give orchard grass/timothy/alfalfa in their feeders. They also get a measured ration of grain and probiotics daily.

I read that crooked tails and weak ankles can be a sign. Their ankles look good, but their tails are crooked. It's not a fish tail as they get a copper bolus regularly (every 3 months for my lighter goats, every 2.5 for my black goat).

I'm not planning to breed, but I certainly want them to be healthy because I love them far more than I expected. Is there something else I should be doing?

Thanks!

·
Registered
Breeding Quality Nigerian Dwarf Goats
1,600 Posts
Could you post a picture of them and their tails. Goats usually need a selenium supplement (even with a good free choice, loose mineral), and the best options for that is BoSe which is an injection that you have to get from a vet, or a selenium and vitamin e gel from Tractor Supply (or other farm stores). I have been able to get away with a good free choice mineral (Purina Wind and Rain), and supplement them with the gel at least twice a year. Sometimes I do need to give certain goats an extra dose of two depending on if they are showing early signs of being deficient.

Your girls might be able to get a lot of their minerals from browsing right now. Are you sure they don't ever touch/eat the minerals? If so, then it might be worth looking into another kind.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure they never touch the minerals. I tried 2 other kinds. I tried refreshing them every day, thinking maybe they were picky about freshness. The last few days, I've only been putting out a small amount, and I sprinkled their probiotics on it to see if they were eating them at all. The powder is undisturbed.

Here are their tails. They just got their bolus last weekend after I noticed Nudge's shoulders were turning orange. I'm still working on the timing of the bolus administration.
Sunshine:
Goat Fawn Terrestrial animal Grass Plant

Weezy:
Fawn Terrestrial animal Plant Grass Rodent

Nudge:
Cloud Grass Terrestrial animal Sky Mustelidae

Cricket (the most crooked looking):
Carnivore Felidae Terrestrial animal Whiskers Mustelidae

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here they are. Now I'm wondering if their ankles (can never remember the proper term) aren't looking a lil suspect...

2 other things: We are on city water somehow. All our neighbors are on well. Have no idea how that happened. And sorry for the mess. We had a major storm blow through a couple of weeks ago and dump 14 inches on us. We are still revovering.

Sunshine:
Fence Goat Mesh Fawn Terrestrial animal

Weezy:
Terrestrial animal Pack animal Snout Goat-antelope Livestock

Nudge:
Mammal Goat Grass Terrestrial animal Livestock

Cricket:
Goat Goat-antelope Terrestrial animal Snout Livestock

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Pretty girls!! 😍

The proper term is pasterns. 😉

To me, they actually don't look too deficient! Cricket does have a slight bend like you said, so they would all benefit from some extra selenium, but other than that, I think they look great - good job!

Hmm, wonder why they don't eat their minerals? Maybe they really are getting all they need from browsing... What other brands have you tried? I would also keep their minerals separate from other things (like probiotic powder) - it's totally fine that you were only doing it for a test to see if they were eating it, but now, just make sure to keep them plain. 😉😊

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's always separate. I was just testing to see of they eat it. I figured the white powder would be gone (or at least moved) if they ate it. Nothing.

I've tried Purina and one other whose name escapes me. Manna Pro, maybe? I'd feel so much happier if they just ate the stuff. Is there another brand most goats like? I doubt they get all they need. It's winter, so there is much less forage available. It ain't growing much right now, and they ate most of it already - lol! (Get 5 goats for my 3 acres of woods, everyone said. I got 4, and they cleared it out within weeks. Two would have been enough! But if I hadn't bought all 4, the unsold girls would have been sold as meat. Couldn't let that happen, could I? ;))

Any ideas how I might supplement selenium? A gel like Replamin? A mineral block, maybe? A selenium-rich food???

·
Administrator
85,630 Posts
Look for a higher label dosage on loose salt and minerals is one way.
If they are super deficient, you will have to get the injection of BO-SE from a vet.

They do have the gel form as well.

But be absolutely sure they are deficient before forcing it on them.
The loose salt and minerals will allow them to get it as they need it.
If they like the minerals.

Your girls look good to me. ;)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
You're welcome!

Your girls look really good, maybe just a slight bend in Cricket's tail. I would worry about them not eating their minerals too much. Did they like the other brands? This is what I use https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-wind-rain-storm-all-season-75-complete I have to supplement with selenium gel twice a year (maybe a a bit more depending on the goat). I personally, would just keep a close eye on them and watch for signs of them being selenium deficient then give the gel.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts