The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious. I have had to put one pen of goats with another on multiple occasions for various reasons - the latest one being the snow storm we had this past Friday and not enough shelter for the Alley pen. On every occasion my girls sort themselves back into their pens within 24-48 hours. If the gate is shut they will lay by the gate to their pen and, when I open the gate, they all walk back into it. Is this usual for goats or are mine just strange?

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
It is just what they are used to. They will go back to where they are used to being. I guess one benefit to goats being creatures of habit.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok. I know they are creatures of habit, but wasn't sure how far that went. I love it! Saves me so much time and saves stress on them, too. Definitely a win/win deal. :)

·
2,203 Posts
Absolutely! Fellow friend's goats sort themselves dry/lactating when he calls em in for milking (60+ milkers, 20+ dry/yearlings). Way cool to see. Unbelievable really.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
Ohhh yes and it comes in so handy. Last year I was letting moms and kids with the 'main herd' then later in the day would put them back in their pen for extras. But right now is not so very handy with the doelings I put out to be bred. They stand by their old pen and cry night and day :(

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Absolutely! Fellow friend's goats sort themselves dry/lactating when he calls em in for milking (60+ milkers, 20+ dry/yearlings). Way cool to see. Unbelievable really.
That is amazing!

Jessica, I can see where that would be a problem - and very frustrating, too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts