Selium gel

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TCOLVIN, Nov 24, 2020.

1. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I will be out of town with family in December for about 5 days. My problem is some of my Nannies will be birthing then. My helper is capable of feeding only and making sure water is out fit them, nothing more. I have tried to cover all the basics for birthing such as selium shots, pneumonia vaccines, CTD&T shots, copper bolus and minerals. At the moment they all look good, in fact so good some of them look like anytime now. My worry is if a kid is born that per chance would have Selium deficiency (wobble legs) would a loader dose of Selium gel work or would this choke them? This if needed, he could put on his finger in small amounts and put in their mouth. He can’t do shots at all. I pray all goes well but I know some will be born during this time. When this time away was planned I never thought of this would be birthing dates until it was too late. I will be in touch on the phone off and on but I know his limitations and his panic mode. Doing temp checks or anything other than feed and watering is out. He will put out hay also. If anything I need to do before I go please say so. As I said, they are pretty as can be right now.

2. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    South GA
    What kind of selenium gel? Can you post a picture or link to it?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  4. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    I think I had some in goat frid, I think it’s vitamin E with Selium.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Dose for that is 2 cc for kids. Its safe to give them. Stick with the 2 cc however..don't want to over give. Ask the vare giver to at least see all kids nursing on their own before leaving them.

toth boer goats, MadHouse and TCOLVIN like this.
  6. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Do you have anyone else on standby in case the birthing goes wrong?
    Will the helper be able to dry off the kids and etc?

toth boer goats, MadHouse and Sfgwife like this.
  7. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Drying off like with a towel, yes. Delivery, No.
    I have never had one that needed help in birthing but I know that can change. I have ha to give Bose shots to infants at birth and I have use toilet tissue cores to stiffened their little legs for a day or so. Don’t think he can do that even. They all look good right now and some may have them before I leave but I don’t have exact dates. Is there anything you see that I may have missed? I mean I have given all shots and vaccines I can think of and am feeding garlic regularly. I have instructed him when one has the kids to just watch for anything not normal and after mommy cleans them up to take mom and babes to a birthing pen with a roof over it, feed mommy and put out water for her. I will buy some new 5 gallon buckets to fill with water, this way mom can drink but babies can’t fall in them. Also to put down a hay bed to lay on. Have vitamin e with Selium handy. I have sometimes given Cydectin wormer after birthing and a B complex shot but this time I won’t be able to. If I thought I could change these dates I would but it a whole family thing so that’s out. If the whole family wasn’t going I would not worry as much. Anything I’ve missed please advise. Thanks

toth boer goats likes this.
  8. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    Drying off like with a towel, yes. Delivery, No.
    I have never had one that needed help in birthing but I know that can change. I have had to give Bose shots to infants at birth and I have use toilet tissue cores to stiffened their little legs for a day or so. Don’t think he can do that even. They all look good right now and some may have them before I leave but I don’t have exact dates. Is there anything you see that I may have missed? I mean I have given all shots and vaccines I can think of and am feeding garlic regularly. I have instructed him when one has the kids to just watch for anything not normal and after mommy cleans them up to take mom and babes to a birthing pen with a roof over it, feed mommy and put out water for her. I will buy some new 5 gallon buckets to fill with water, this way mom can drink but babies can’t fall in them. Also to put down a hay bed to lay on. Have vitamin e with Selium handy. I have sometimes given Cydectin wormer after birthing and a B complex shot but this time I won’t be able to. If I thought I could change these dates I would but it a whole family thing so that’s out. If the whole family wasn’t going I would not worry as much as I would have one of them for back up. It’s really in GODs hands, but that’s where it needs to be anyway. Anything I’ve missed please advise. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    toth boer goats and Iluvlilly! like this.
  9. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If you’re experiencing kids in need of selenium and splinting regularly, there’s an issue. I’d be giving the mom’s weekly Replamin until they kid.

toth boer goats likes this.
  10. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Give the helper your vet’s phone number.
    Phone nearby friends with animals and find one that would agree to come if the helper needs help.
    Personally I wouldn’t go away, but I am not you, and you have to decide for yourself.
    If it was me, I wouldn’t be able to enjoy the time away, I would be constantly worrying over he does and kids.
    I hope all goes well!

11. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Unfortunately, with all the Covid nonsense going on, you may be wiser to not go. (but, only you know your circumstances, etc)...Chances are- your does will be fine. We (I) tend to forget that animals have been having babies for many years and done so without human intervention. You probably will not have anything to worry about.

12. TCOLVIN

TCOLVIN TKC Farms

Sep 21, 2014
    Cobbtown, Ga.
    You are correct. I have never come up on one having a kid. I only been raising goats for a little over 6 years. I have come close but never saw one born. I was in the goat shed one morning at 4:00am, 17 degrees on the thermometer in January 2015 and by flashlight saw the prettiest little girl running around you ever saw. Next day high was 28 degrees when I got off from work and went to feed and saw what look like a white oat bag by flashlight. When I went to move it , it hollowed out, baby boy born and was Snow White. I had many triplets born and when I got there mom had them clean a sucking. There has been a couple of times I have given Selium and twice used toilet paper cores on back legs. In six years I have had over 100+ babes born and have only lost 2 that were still born. I have lost 2 babies at 6 weeks old to pneumonia 2 years ago, which now I know a little more what to watch for. I have prepared the moms with selium shots, CD&T shots, and plenty garlic and minerals to pass on to the kiddos. My main job in the caregiving when born is to get mom and babies in a pen with roof and dry floor, feed mom ASAP , put out tall water bucket to keep kids out, dose of replamin daily for a week, check temp on 3rd day after birth and just watch. Sometimes I have given a B Complex shot if I thought needed. Keep mom and babies penned for a week so they can bond, then let them out to pasture. It has been working for me and I pray it to continue.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.