Seller problems

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Noisy Bottle Babies, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I agree with give it time to see.if the doeling gets better. Get your money back, and start looking. You realize this is the start.of birthing season. Do.you know how many adorable does are going to be born? They will be around 3 months.by spring..perfect time to see if this current doeling is better...or if something new & amazing is just now getting here.
    The owner sounds very concerned about her herd...which is very important. We all want to sell the best we have. Now for you..I understand the disappointment... It does give you time to see & find another that's healthy and looking for someone like you.

2. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Ok I get what your saying. And if your mom is like mine there is no changing her mind lol but I would wait until emotions calm down and then talk to mom and the breeder, if you still want her. As a breeder when something goes wrong it definitely consumes my time and I’m frustrated and easily annoyed. So just give her some time and then ask how she is doing. When you get a reply then ask if she doesn’t mind what letting you know what is wrong with her. Which I don’t think if your still interested in her knowing what the issue was is a bad thing. It’s not your responsibility to pay for meds. It is absolutely sweet to offer and I know it’s coming from the heart, but again emotions are high for the breeder right now so just step back and let them do what needs to be done.
    And if you change your mind, or find something else I don’t think anyone would find fault with that. If I was in the breeders shoes I defiantly wouldn’t! And if she does then she isn’t the breeder for you.

3. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    I swear I have yet to find someone more hardheaded than my mom lol, yeah emotions have been all over the place for the past 2 days. I'm the one who takes care of all the goats but with school starting things have been so frustrating, I feel bad for her as she had multiple goats get sick so I sent my prayers them. I think after everythings calmed ill look over my choices again I know definitely right now that she is one that I can't let go but I will wait my time and in the mean time convince my mom that she's the one lol

4. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

Everyone else made really good points (Toth and Jessica pretty much summed up my point of view) so I won't go into that, but in 5 years of raising goats the one thing I've learned without a doubt is that there will always, ALWAYS be another goat that you just have to have! I know sometimes it doesn't feel like it and it's certainly disappointing when things don't work out for whatever reason, but just tell yourself it's for the best, be patient, and wait, because something else WILL come along! Trust me, I've been there! It sounds like you need to step back from the situation, breathe, and wait things out. If the doe gets better and things with the seller seem okay and you want to buy her later, great! But if things don't work out with this doe or the seller is giving you a weird vibe, don't hesitate to walk away because this will NOT be your only chance to add a nice doe to your herd!

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    With the breeder not being transparent, I would get my money back and shop around, you may find a better deal and better goat and breeder.

When a breeder does not give you the opportunity to see the goat, there is a lot wrong there.
    Goats can get pneumonia, it does happen for example.
    If for instance it is that, a breeder shouldn't have a problem with a buyer to come see the goat or get a video of the goat to show the buyer what is happening. Then they can decide what they want to do at that point.

A deposit means, you as buyer, are entitled to know what is happening to that goat.

I had someone put a deposit on a goat. The brat tore his ear.
    I contacted the buyer immediately and showed a picture to them.
    They didn't want that, as they were wanting to show the goat.
    So I offered deposit back or a new goat choice. They took another goat in his place.

Being honest and open to buyers to me is the best policy.

If the breeder does not want a buyer who already placed a deposit on a goat, closes the door, something is very concerning here or they were offered a better offer on that goat.
    Which I believe is the situation here.

6. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    This situation could point to a shady seller or a seller who is being responsible. I would opt to give benefit of the doubt and take my deposit. I had a little buckling this year that I was intending to sell. The lady simply wanted him for meat which was fine by me. She wanted to see if she liked the way goat tastes and if Boers were worth raising. This little fellow ended up being the epitome of every bad stereotype Boers get. I spoke with her and told her exactly what was going on. At this point I had only had the little buck for a couple weeks myself. In that time frame we had wormed him several times and treated for hoof rot. I was trimming hi feet and found what looked like abscesses in 3 of them. ( He came to me this way). So I trimmed him out and as expected he would go lame in each foot as they finally blew. It took me a couple months to get him straightened out. In that time frame I had spoken to the buyer and gave them a full run down of everything that had been going on with this fellow. I could not in good conscious sell him to them. This was a little buck I had paid a fat chunk for and decided to let him go without papers for $75. Ultimately sent him through the auction labeled as terminal no papers etc.
    Long story short it could come across as I was just trying to get more money out of the goat. It wasn't that though. I did not want to shift a problem goat onto someone, especially someone just being introduced to the breed. Luckily the buyer took it as it was meant. I was simply being honest and did not want to send her a problem.
    As for feeling like you are being given the cold shoulder, ask the seller. The easiest way to communicate clearly is simply to ask.

7. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

The fact that she is offering to give back your full deposit is very good. Most shady people would never give your deposit back.

8. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    They gave the deposit back and was very understanding about the whole situation they had the vet out there they said and the goats were getting really bad i sent my prayers for their recovery and they said they felt bad about her getting Sick I said it wasn't their fault as they take really good care of their goats, even though I can't get that girl I feel like I know have other opportunity I didn't have to look at now

9. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Honestly... I would get my $$ back and find something else. Have they said what is wrong with the doe? Sorry if I missed that, but if they have not said and given details on her care, etc. I would totally walk away. It shouldn't take until spring for a normal, otherwise healthy doe to get better.
    There are a lot of awesome goats out there...

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad you got the deposit back. :)

11. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Oh boy right after I got my deposit back from her a day later my mom bought 3 more Boer does I guess things turned out lol

12. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Congrats!! You'll have to share pics! Things definitely have a weird way of working out! :)

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  13. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    That’s great! I learned a long time ago that if it’s something that I have to work really hard at getting and it seems like everything is stacked against getting it there is a reason. I think your reason was those 3 does ;) I still don’t feel like the breeder of the one doe did anything wrong but I would definitely say this worked out for the better in the end.

Iluvlilly! and Calistar like this.
  14. Noisy Bottle Babies

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Not great pictures of them but they are all 50% registered and the bigger gal is bred to a double bred dimension buck the traditional guy

Attached Files:

ksalvagno and Iluvlilly! like this.
  15. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    YAY, glad you have them. (thumbup)

Nice. :)