The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm thinking of selling one of my does as a bred doe and I had some questions about doing so. I would like to have a doe kid back so that is the main reason I'm a little lost. I know this would be good to know for future reference too.

1- do you ask the doe's value and then get a doe kid back or do you give a discount for the doe because you're getting a daughter back or do you charge more for a breeding memo even though you'd get a daughter back?

2- at what stage of pregnancy would you feel its safe to sell her as a bred doe? Obviously if she's missed a heat or two, but would you wait till she's midway or???

3- do you write up a contract stating the terms of the sale? If so does anyone have or know of one I could use?

Anything else I should know? Thank you for any suggestions you might have! :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,251 Posts
I can't help you with 1 and 3(not sure) but on 2 I'm pretty sure that 3 1/2 months is the mark at when you really shouldn't transport a doe anymore.
Sorry I couldn't be more help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That helps, thanks! Right now she's just been bred so this would be another month before it really comes into play. I have to be sure she settled and if she didn't I'd need to rebreed her.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,236 Posts
do you know if she usually has twins or a single?


Because if she usually has a single then you would sell her for a price as if she was open because you would be taking her only kid.


But if the new owner is getting at least one kid from the sale then I would say add a little to whatever you would charge for her open.

That is just the way I would think to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
I bought a doe awhile back that was bred with the promise that if she had a doe kid i'd give it to her-the gal I bought from. The doe ended up having a single buck kid and so I sold it after I made sure the lady did not want it. I originally went to buy my 3 year old doe and offered her a price for the two of them and she took it. Personally though i'd want to back myself up and say that if at anytime the doe aborted unexpectantly than I am not responsible for it. OR you can give the people a free breeding if you feel it is right.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
764 Posts
I know I can't be of much help but when I was selling Layla she was 4 mos along. I refused to sell her at 4mos along because the buyer was wanting to take her a long distance. (something had always came up to cause the buyer to not be able to get down here before 4mos.) I just didn't feel comfortable...sure Layla would have probably been quite fine but I didn't want to risk it.

If my does are going a fair distance away I wont sell them after they get to 4 months along. That is just the way I do things. :D We all do things differently.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,597 Posts
Who are you thinking of selling? I am selling Beri bred, but i am selling her basically at an open doe price. I am going to wait for her to leave after I am sure she hasn't come back into heat. But I am not wanting a doe back so it isn't quite as complicated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am talking about Petite. She's had triplets, twins and a single. Last kidding was twins.

I was talking to a friend who recently sold a doe who's bred with a doe kid back deal. She said she charges what the doe is worth herself. If no doelings are born then the buyer comes out ahead with buck kids to sell. If she has more than one doeling then she gets one and the buyer can determine if they want one or to sell it. She also said that if the doe turns out open and does not kid then you didn't ask more than her real value so no one owes anyone anything. So I like this method.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
29,236 Posts
yah that does sound easy enough to do. Get everything in writing though. And even an option for the buyer to buy the doeling owed to you. Because I know that it does happen sometimes that people want a doe and then change their mind or are happy enough to sell it to someone for a fair price.

Just something to think about as you write up an agreement.

But do get it all in writing!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not positive if I'll sell her yet. She will be for sale after kidding. If I still had Alyssum I might have just sold her outright.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Definitely get it in writing. And I would sell at the cost of the doe herself, not addind a breeding fee or anything, after all, the new owner is going to be feeding and caring for her through her gestation, at the end of which, you get the benefit of a doe kid-and the new owner may end up with nothing but a doe in milk, and be out kids for the year if she only has a single-which may happen, even if she always has triplets or quads or what-have-you goats are unpredictable, particularly if you are going to move her after she's bred.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
751 Posts
i have sold 2 does in the past with the agreement that i would get a doe kid back & in both cases i never got a kid from them. i will never do it again. besure to get every thing in writing. i will sell a doe bred but i charge the usual price for the doe & then a stud fee & give a service memo. it is the safe way to do it. just my opinion & what i have had happen in the past. both were suppose to be good friends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,597 Posts
I hear ya Fritzie. I have done trades such and not gotten back what we agreed on.

Hornless - Allysum died from what Ashley believes was Acorn poisoning.
My does were acting VERY off and i think it was Acorn poisoning. I gave them B complex and Probios, but i think it is just something they recover from on their own. I locked them off of the pasture for a week and since then there have been no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
176 Posts
I'm not in favor of these types of sales with conditions on them. Too much can go wrong. What if the doe has a complicated kidding/died or aborted or didn't have a doe? Or what if her kid wasn't what you were expecting for the price?
I say if you really want a kid back then why sell the doe until she delivers? That way you have total control over the situation and no complications.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,251 Posts
yeah, I think somebody said its the green acorns they can die from, but her two girls had pneumonia. Acorns really aren't as bad as most people think. I've heard a lot of people say that the most ripe acorns will do to your goats is dry them up.
 
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Top