The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I sell a dam raised baby at 1 month old if she's had tons of milk and is eating grain and hay and drinking water?

Selling goats is SO hard. I want to cut down because I'm so busy with soccer. I want to sell goats, but I don't want to sell the goats I have! I know for sure I'm keeping Quinoa, Penny and Stella. And I'm selling Willow's other baby, Cinnamon, for sure. I don't know what to do with Willow and Uhura. If I sold Willow, I would want her and Cinnamon to go as a pair, but then Stella is alone without her sister or mom! Guh, it's so confusing and urhg making.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would not sell a baby at one month unless they are bottle raised. I think 6-8 weeks is the minimum weaning age.

I know what you mean about selling. I cant decide which of my doelings to keep. I think I decided but they are all so pretty.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Agreed. If she HAS to be sold that young, I'd suggest getting her on the bottle before she goes to her new home. Make sure she takes it very well with no balking, and that her new owners know how to bottlefeed and troubleshoot bottlefeeding problems.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
1 month old is too young to wean a kid, IMHO. If you are in a situation where you have no choice but to sell this kid, then I would suggest transitioning him/her to a bottle. If that is not the situation, then I would suggest holding off until he/she is at least 2 months old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts