selling kids ?

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by nhsmallfarmer, Apr 4, 2009.

1. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I was wondering when you sell your kid goats, do you wait till they are 8 weeks old or do you let them go once they take a bottle good?
    I know they sell 3 day old calves and they get milk replacer, I didnt know if that could be done with kids under 8 weeks old?

2. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN
    I personally in most cases sell them after they are weaned but some people sell them as bottle babie...its really up to you.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Sara......It all depends...I also wait til the kids are weaned from there mama it is 3 months with my boers....I don't believe in ripping them... from there mama's ...unless there dam's or the kid(s) are having a problem.....some people do.. rip them away early... and sell them sooner...but that method is just not for me.... So... it is all up to you and the way you prefer to do it......... :greengrin:

4. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I have one that is bottle fed, he never took to the moms udder, she is nursing the doeling.
    its funny the boy would rather bottle feed but to get them 2 doelings to take one forget i think they would rather starve

5. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I think it is a personal issue whether you sell kids at birth to be bottle raised or wait and wean them after, at least, eight weeks old.

Some people wean earlier, I personally won't do that.

Also, I've heard (have no experience with this) that if you start a kid out nursing on mom and then a week or longer into it try to take them and feed them a bottle many won't make the switch and you have problems. So, if that's correct then you want to make your decision immediately if you are going to bottle raise them and start them out that way.

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Cinder... that is a good point...... :wink:

7. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    ok ty all for your opinions I guess where the buckling is on the bottle and the 2 doelings are on the mommas I will just keep them that way until they are 8 weeks old then sell them :(

8. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    When I started goats I bought a 2 year old and her 3 week old doeling. I was planning on bottlefeeding but the doeling had been on her dam from the very start. The guy I bought them from was dubious but I left the doeling overnight on her own (well with lambs) and she took the bottle straight away the next day. However I know that is an exception to the rule!!!

LW

9. RowdyKidz

RowdyKidz Senior Member

Apr 2, 2009
    NW Ohio
    I personally would not sell them before 8 weeks, even if they were getting bottle-fed. But it's a personal preference (of course), so it's up to you. :thumbup: Good luck! :greengrin:

10. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if someone wants to bottle feed and knows the commitment it takes then yes I will let them leave early. But if they are on mom it is 8-12 weeks before I let them leave

11. keren

keren owned by goats

Oct 26, 2008
    Australia
    I dont pull them off, but when I do have a bottle baby, if its one that is marked down to sell (not retain), I advertise them as soon as they are sucking well. bottle feeding takes a lot of time, work and money and if I'm gonna sell the kid anyway, and someone wants to bottle raise it, I figure its a win win. No point putting in the time and money to get it to weaning and then sell it, if you can get rid of it quicker.

I have pulled kids to bottle feed at a week old, I've found up to a week old they are easy enough to do, once they get about 2 wks or older its a little tougher but I've always managed to get them onto the bottle. In fact, I've always managed to get everything on a bottle, well until Mr Pride. He's the only one that I just couldnt get to take. I've probably raised hundreds of lambs, kids and calves over the years, so I guess one isnt too bad :) Works wonders to leave them for a night or day, to make em hungry.

12. fcnubian

fcnubian New Member

Oct 22, 2007
    I prefer to get kids sold young. They take the milk my keeper doelings could be drinking. I have 3 bucklings that I would practically give away if someone showed up this weekend and wanted them.

I bought a kid around a week old before. I don't sell them younger then a week though. But I like them to be gone by 6 weeks unless they are dam raised, in that case they don't leave until 10 week at the earliest.