Selling new kids to inexperienced person ?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by JessaLynn, Dec 6, 2009.

1. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Ok so here's the thing.I have a buckling someone is wanting.They don't have goats now and want him just for a pet.I agree if I wether him he would make a wonderful pet but...this person doesn't sound like they have read up at all on the care of goats.They want him before Christmas and he will still be needing milk by then so they would have to bottle feed him.They want me to tell them all about how to care for goats.I'm uneasy selling him to someone that has no clue. They have 2 big german shepherds and said they could keep him company :worried: What would you do in this situation?

2. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    Re: Selling new kids to unexperienced person ?

1. IMO I won't sell a kid that still requires milk to a first time owner, no matter how much they've read up on. as we all know.. goats are rarely textbook... and experience is needed to rear goats.
    2. goats require goats.. i've had people want to buy just one goat.. and though they can survive it... its generally not healthy for their mental status.
    3. i never trust pet dogs around livestock.. if fact i'd only trust LGD's around them and i still would be wary.. they're still dogs.
    4. if they're telling you how to take care of your animals.. consider it a warning sign and tell them goodbye

3. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC

They have not done their homework .... I would politely tell them no. They can not learn in a few minute conversation how to raise goats.

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA

I agree. I would kindly tell them that they are not the right fit for the buckling. It's not fair for the poor little guy to go into a home like that. They may have the best intentions, but I can just see so many things that could go wrong with this home.

5. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Yeah I was thinken the same.I just love my goats to much to see them go to a home that the owners would see it as lawn decoration basicly.Not saying that's the case but doesn't sound to hopeful.I was just a new goat owner not to long ago and someone took the chance with me.Although I read and read and read and asked questions like crazy but I don't think I would have started off with NEW baby goats and knew you couldn't just have the one.I'm gonna say Neh on this one.I'll just explain why to this person and lead them to an animal shelter and tell them to get a cat instead for Christmas.LOL J/K

6. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I would say no. I never sell kids on the bottle.

7. shanzone2001

shanzone2001 New Member

Nov 8, 2009
    I agree that they need more than 1 goat. Also, as sweet as my dogs are, they can freak out my goats so they are not allowed near the goat corral. It takes a special dog to be a goat's best friend. Maybe one of the dogs would turn out to be, but both? Too risky for me! Who is the pet for? If it is for the kids, they may loose interest once it is grown and the goat will become the responsibility of the adults....kind-of like buying rabbits for Easter... :sigh:

8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Not sure but I just sent them an email and told them kindly no I can't sell him to them and directed him to a website so that way he can start reading up all he can and also suggested talking to people who own them.I felt way uncomfortable even considering selling him my babies and then when he said he just wanted one.NOPE! :sigh:

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I wouldnt discount inexperienced owners as buyers even for bottle babies. They jsut have to be willing to learn and follow advise given to them.

But I say no when people want just one goat and especially no if they want the dogs to be its companion!

I would explain to them why you have to turn down the sale. You did say they are not knowledgeable about goats. The only way to gain knowledge is to be taught. You just maybe that person to teach them.

I always ask for why they want to get a goat and their intentions. Their answer will help you determine if they will be teachable or to set in their ways. :thumbup:

10. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    Very good advice Stacey! Thank you and well said!

11. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    **Disclaimer**
    This is my opinion and only my opinion.

I would not deny the purchase solely on inexperience. My very first goat ever was a 10 day old PB Boer out of the Show Me Boers Collateral Damage named Jacob. This baby was not weaned by any stretch of the imagination and I had no experience what so ever with goats, much less a bottle baby. I read all the post here and on several other websites to learn what I could. All the reading in the world will not prepare a new owner for raising goats. This is something that is only learned first hand. I had plenty of people to talk to, including the breeder I got him from, even though they hadn't been in the business very long. Jacobs "buddy" was an over grown cat named Mr. Kitty and they got along great while in the house. When it was time for Jacob to graduate to the outdoors full time we got him a pen mate so he wouldn't be alone. They didn't get along so well at first.

I also have 2 large dogs, a husky and a malamute, they didn't bother him but my dogs are trained to leave things(goats, chickens, etc... alone. I would not ever trust them alone with them though. I would never use them as "buddies" for a goat. I would also never trust the most gentle of GSDs with goats. The prey drive is too strong and they have too much energy.

I would sell one of my goats to an inexperienced person IF they were willing to learn. I would make sure they had access to information on raising them. I would make myself available to them for help and questions should they need any. Everyone has to start somewhere and no one starts out knowing everything there is. Even those who have been raising goats for a long time need help every now and again. Just look at some of the posts on TGS and you will see that.

We had to have Jacob put down when he got sick. He was 18 months old. Now did he get sick due to my inexperience ( I've only had goats for less than 2 years now)?, maybe. Would I have been able to save him if I had noticed the signs of meningeal worm sooner? Possibly. Could he have been permanently paralyzed and need to be put down in the hands of an experienced world renown goat herder? Most definitely. Did the breeder blame me and my inexperience for his loss? NO! She commended me on having the courage and the love to end his suffering when there was no hope of him getting better.

Many time we place human emotions on out animals because they are like our children. We have raised them, usually from birth,and want the best the world has to offer. Most of us even assisted in that birth. We want the best homes with the best feed and conditions even though this is at best unrealistic.

IF you have ever visited a show breeder you will see that show goats are only kept if perfection is achieved in the offspring. If this doesn't happen they are sold off or destroyed because the goat wasn't good enough for the breeders plans(yes I have seen this). The ones that are allowed to live are run through the sale and a lot of times its an inexperienced person who makes the purchase. Then they come here and ask questions.

**Disclaimer**
    The preceeding is my opinion, and my opinion only.

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I as well ...believe in selling to newbies... only if ...they are willing to learn and show interest... in wanting to learn..... Just remember....we all started somewhere......we need to.. look back ...to our very first goats....I for one ....didn't know anything ...but...what I had learned on the internet ...The breeder was kind enough and knew... I was new at it said" If you have any questions just call......believe me.....I was calling him so much...and felt bad ....in a way... that I was calling him... so much ...wanting to learn.....so please remember..... we all did start at the beginning once............this is a better time to learn about goats...then from.. many years ago... being a newbie.... ..................when I started with goats... we and our vets ...didn't know much about goats or what antibiotics ...wormers.....or anything else.. off label... to use for goats .........I myself ...learned by ...trial and error....like other newbies.....I lost a few goats along the way and was saddened......I have changed things that the internet or the breeder told me because another method works better for us... :help: :doh: Thank God for the goat spot.....this is a terrific referal for newbies .....give them a link to it ..... :wink: :greengrin:

I also agree... that a goat is a herd animal and shouldn't be alone.....I always ask... if they have any other goats or intend on getting another... if they are only getting one..... :hug:

13. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    I would not deny someone on inexperience alone. Someone sold me a bottle baby when I was inexperienced. If they are home all the time to keep an eye on the little one I wouldn't worry. Also, if they are real animal people, that helps.

HOWEVER, the little thing about the german shepards to keep the goat company? That throws up red flags. Just because it has "shepard" in it's name does not mean that it is actually compatible with livestock.

14. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    its not that i dont trust newbies to care for a bottle baby correctly, its that if something goes wrong with a bottle kid with a newbie, they 1.. wont know what's going on and may not be able to contact me in time to counter it.. and two if the kid does die it generally makes people give up on goats, or blame me for selling a *sickly kid*

so to protect my rep, and to make sure the kids are healthy and people that buy them stay interested.. i wont sell inexperienced people kids

15. jefner

jefner New Member

Sep 13, 2009
    western washington
    I think you have made the right choice with those folks--it sounds like it would not have been a good goatie experience..