selling "shares"

Discussion in 'Business Buzz' started by billmac, Mar 13, 2009.

1. billmac

billmac Member

Sep 8, 2008
    I have heard that one way around excessive regulation regarding selling animal products (milk, meat, etc) is to sell "shares" in an animal. The purchaser of the shares are entitled to a certain portion of the output of the animal.

I have also heard in some areas you can sell milk and /or milk products without meeting stringent regulations as long as the buyer comes to your farm to buy.

Anyone have experience with these types of things?

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    do alot of that up here.

you buy a part of the animal, and since you legally own the animal- you are intitled to its products.

does that answer you Q?

3. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    We have to sell shares to sell fresh milk in Colorado. It's very easy; you write up a contract which is signed by the person wanting to purchase milk from you. You decided whether you want to sell 1/2 gallon or gallon share per week. The buyer pays a one time upfront fee and then a monthly maintenance fee for as long as the contract is valid. Most people around here sell their shares for about $40/month. That is for one gallon a week of fresh goats milk - that works out to $10/gallon.

You have to make sure that you have enough milk for your own personal consumption and anyone who has purchased shares from you. You also want to make sure that you maintain the higher interest in each of your goats. Meaning - you want to own the most shares of your goats.

4. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Make sure its legal in your area. If its not there are a lot of fines that add upto a lot of headaches.

5. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    I know that WV prohibits the sale of raw milk as well as 'shares'...check your state regulations....

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    yes ...it is wise ...to check your state regulations, so there are no problems later... :wink: :greengrin:

7. Nupine

Nupine New Member

Nov 13, 2007
    South Eastern Ohio
  8. JessaLynn

JessaLynn New Member

Aug 29, 2009
    NW Ohio
    From what the website says..unless you have a license to sell raw milk then no we can't.I don't sell ours but give some to my family.I want to make soaps and sell that though. I did see someone post a goats milk share on craigslist just recently.Hope they don't get in trouble. :worried:

9. Molly&Monica

Molly&Monica New Member

Sep 9, 2009
    Loma, CO
    I live in Colorado also, and have purchased cow shares before. Unfortunately the dairy was not profitable and has quit offering them. My TWO CENTS on this subject is that if we are truly interested in raw milk and its' health benefits, we must band together :grouphug: and offer the shares!!! The governements of our country have so strictly regulated us that it's illegal to do so much of what we all LOVE and KNOW to be good for us!! Sorry...but that's my stump. Drink up America-milk that is-heehe

10. Kaia

Kaia New Member

Jan 20, 2010
    I was at a Farmer's Market once where someone was delivering raw goat milk - each jar was clearly labelled with a sticker that said 'NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION' - and if you asked, as someone he didn't know he was very clear that he was selling it for 'Pet consumption or to make craft products'...although his happy customers were obviously not going home to feed that treasure to their dog. My friend who is from the area said that it is common knowledge that he only says and puts that on there to get around regulations - but he will only discuss or sell to people he knows and trusts.

He was only using the FM as a 'dropping off point' for customers who had orders in - he wasn't selling to just whoever walked up.

I have no idea how that would hold up legally - but I thought it was creative.

11. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    I've heard of the exact same thing in PA. As long as it's clearly labeled and sold as "not for human consumption", then it's perfectly legal.

12. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Every state is different, in some states you have to put dye in milk labeled for pet consumption, which makes it kind of odd looking. I don't remember which state that was, but it had to have blue dye in it.

I don't know about shares, but we had a licensed raw milk dairy here, the only one in the state, and a customer complained that she got the flu and the state shut him down. That permit lasted less than a year before a customer ruined them. This is about the most absurd thing I have ever heard, and everyone around here had the flu this winter. But they still shut him down. His milk was tested frequently and always passed. I don't think you have to have a permit to sell for pet consumption, but I'm not sure. The big dairy industry is a huge lobby and they don't want anyone intruding on their turf. In some states you aren't allowed to give away raw milk, even to your family.

13. mistyblue

mistyblue Senior Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Angleton, Texas
    Here in Texas you have to put a blue dye in the milk for pet use.

14. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Yes, it was Texas, thanks.

Jan in NM

15. farmgirl1

farmgirl1 New Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Monroeville, NJ

Wierd!!! But I guess that makes it so it is ONLY for pet use then. lol that would tottaly ruin some peoples buisnesses

16. GoldenSeal

GoldenSeal New Member

Sep 13, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Here in Canada a guy had cow shares and was charge with 20 some odd charges. Went to court for 3 years before ALL the charges were DROPPED!! WOOHOO! Big step for Canada since we're not allowed to even GIVE the milk away.

17. Mon Reve Farm

Mon Reve Farm New Member

Jun 25, 2010
    Southern DE
    I would recommend you look into Farm to Consumer Fund:
    http://www.farmtoconsumer.org/index.html

It has membership whether you are a seller or a buyer. They provide resources, information and legal assistance. I find some of the newsletters very informational.

We are members as buyers since we had previously participated in a "buyers club". Unfortunately it appears that the government is finding their way around these various options.

I know you all know this but it drives me nuts that you can go to any grocer/mini mart and by chew or cigarettes but I can't easily obtain raw cows milk for my children without worrying and have to join a group like farm to consumer.