The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So... of my 7 kids this year, one went to a rescue (lil Bambi, who is now named Tatonka and is making tons of progress!). I am keeping one doeling. Two doelings have been reserved, and my two wethers are being seen tonight and hopefully getting reserved. This will leave me with a single doeling available. So far EVERYONE has wanted a pair. Do you all find it difficult getting that "3rd wheel" kid sold?

At least if it's a girl leftover, I am fine with keeping her longer. In fact, I really like this doeling... so who knows. If she doesn't sell, maybe we'll end up keeping her, milking her mom through and selling mom after the doeling is bred?? Who knows. I just know I only REALLY have room for 3 does (if that... two has been great). My yard might take a beating if I have to keep 4 for very long. Being in town... I'm not even sure if there is a limit. I know a neighbor has 3 sheep... and so far EVERYONE has been nothing but curiously friendly about my goats... but still.

So anyway... just curious if ya'll have a hard time selling that one last kid? They're only 2 1/2 weeks old... and I've only put up two ads so far... so probably worrying a little early... but yeah. :)

·
Crazy Goat Lady
4,251 Posts
Sounds like you are doing well! Congrats! I just sold a couple the other day, and have 2 more inquiries, so maybe I'll be able to sell my after all.

I've never had this problem before, I've always sold all the kids and could have sold more if I had them. I did have an "extra" one year, for about a week...then...someone saw our place as they were driving by...they stopped and bought the extra kid...they had just lost an older wether and had a single goat at home. They were thrilled that they found a kid that fast.

·
1,524 Posts
I usually sell all the doe kids I need to sell, its the bucks that don't always sell. When that happens, they go to a dealer or I keep them for freezer camp.

·
2,180 Posts
I usually sell all the doe kids I need to sell, its the bucks that don't always sell. When that happens, they go to a dealer or I keep them for freezer camp.
Same here. Does sell like mad in the spring and early summer, as well as breeding season. Bucks and bucklings are pretty slow traffic. Usually end up butchering one, sometimes two that haven't found homes.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm vegetarian, so freezer camp isn't an option. Can't imagine the lil ND's would have much meat on 'em anyway. But... the boys are ALMOST "officially" going to a BEAUTIFUL home! The lady was raised on a farm, has had all sorts of animals over the last 50+ yrs and runs a BEAUTIFUL bed n breakfast with "farm tours". Her place is absolutely GORGEOUS. I'm so happy for them! I wondered what their fate would truly be as "pets" - too often forgotten after the honeymoon period. So YAY! I'm sure lil Dahlia will find a home soon. She's the last one. Not bad, since they're only less than 3weeks old still. :) I need to get some good pics. You cant see what a cute body she has in the crappy pic I have of her. She's got super long legs compared to everyone else. I'm almost tempted to keep her and sell mom, who's older and fairly obnoxious (BUT an excellent milker) after the doelings are bred - but that would require keeping 4 goats for the next year. We'll see.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
10,704 Posts
I completely respect that you're a vegetarian ... it may be hard to find everyone homes if you are breeding once a year, so you will have to put extra effort into it. I'd get in the show ring, hang fliers, maybe post on petfinder.com or other similar sites. I found, in my area at least, quality pet homes for wethers can be really tough to find. We are swamped with wethers all in need of homes, some going for very low prices or for free. There are people who want a goat, but aren't willing to do the research, or pay the $150 that my wethers cost. I need someone who really is on top of their care, so that they can prevent UC and give my boys a great life. That is why I have chosen to harvest all that don't sell within a certain time frame ... that way I'm not desperate for pet homes and compromise on quality; or, on the other hand, swamped with goats! :laugh:

Anyway, I know Molly of Fias Co Farm, at least a few years ago, did not harvest her wethers either. It will just take a little extra time. I would teach them something. Teach them to walk on a leash, carry a pack, etc, so that when someone is reading about your goats they will go, "Wow, they walk on a leash, and I can take them hiking with me? Cool, I didn't know goats could do that!" :)

In answer of your question, it has been a slow year for pet homes. Last year the only interest we got was due to a breeder we know very graciously referring to us. This year we got at least four emails; three of them never emailed me back when I told them the price, one was very interested, but I haven't heard from her in awhile. So, yep, it can definately be tough. I DO have some kids sold to our very own Trickyroo (Laura). :D

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm HOPING to not have to breed every year. I think I'm going to see about milking my ladies through this year. With any luck... I can keep them in milk until the doeling I kept is old enough to breed. We'll see. As long as ONE of them is in milk (at least a quart a day), I will be happy.

I'm just thrilled to ONLY have one doeling left to sell. When Soleil started poppin' out boys... I wanted to pull my hair out! LOL:GAAH:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts