Selling to Milk Processor?

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by Flatlander, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Flatlander

Flatlander New Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Hi,

We are just starting out (in the planning stages) of raising goats. I know there are a lot of regulations to sell milk, and wanted to know if it is possible to sell raw milk to larger milk processors who could then process and sell it? Has anyone done this, and if so may I ask how you got started?

Thank you for any information!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You would have to look into the laws of your state. Even to sell to another processor, there would still probably be some strict regulations.

Flatlander likes this.

3. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    For what it is worth, i sell to horse breeders, when they lose a mate, they buy goat milk for the foals. It's seasonal, but I'm surprised how many want it.

Flatlander likes this.
  4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If you are interested in selling to processors, I would contact them directly and see what interest they have and the regualtions that are in place.

Flatlander likes this.
  5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    For Ohio, there are tons of regulations just to sell the milk to a buyer. I am Grade A and it is a lot of work for minimal income and a fluctuating market. (Not trying to be negative, just stating facts!)

Some states may have some less regulations than Ohio, but they are all mandated under Federal food safety laws.

You will have to have your water tested, have a bulk tank, separate milk house (in OH a self closing door between milk house and barn is ok), hot and cold running water, certain lighting, cleaning and sanitizing chemicals, (no natural or herbal) all stainless steel buckets, etc. No medications anywhere in barn. This is just a minimum.

goatblessings and Flatlander like this.
  6. Flatlander

Flatlander New Member

Jan 15, 2018
    I am happy to compy with regulations, it is more that we don't have the time or space to process the milk ourselves. I loved having goats growing up, but I also want them to be profitable on our farm. Being able to somehow sell their milk would help. Thank you!

7. Flatlander

Flatlander New Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Are there may regulations for doing this, or as it is going to animals, is it more relaxed? We just don't have a seperate building at this time.

8. Lstein

Lstein Well-Known Member

Oct 2, 2014
    North Dakota
    You should check what the rules/laws are for your state. I believe, in most places, that there's a somewhat reliable market for selling it as "use for pets". But you'll have to see if it's allowed or not, USUALLY, the rules for that are more relaxed.

You could also look into soap making, just as another thought.

Flatlander likes this.
  9. Flatlander

Flatlander New Member

Jan 15, 2018
    Thank you all for your replies! I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge with a newcomer. :)

10. Einhorn

Einhorn Active Member

Jan 2, 2014
    HI Flatlander, it's totally just a private transaction between me and the horse owner. They either want to come and see how I handle the milk, or they just want to meet for the bottles of milk. I don't have any sort of government approval or anything, and I haven't asked!
    I do think here (NM) use for pets is pretty unregulated as far as it goes. I don't charge much, because, well, it's doing a nice thing for the foals, right? I don't make a profit, but I do defray the cost of the feed.