The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been investigating the logistics of having my goats processed and then selling the meat. I have found out all the regulations in our area, am looking at market issues, but wanted to know if there is anyone here that does this that would help a girl out!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seems that a great many people choose to just sell from their farms to individuals, but as I really need this to be more of a business, I am reaching out for knowledge anywhere I can :)

·
Fair-Haven
5,582 Posts
State regulations may prohibit you from selling processed meat directly to a buyer. However, you could possibly sell "hanging weight" - meaning you sell the goat to a buyer, price the hanging weight of the goat, and then the buyer pays that to you, plus the price of processing to a butcher. Much like buying a hog or beef from a farmer. You would have to check the meat processors in your area.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
I friend of mine ships her meat goats to a USDA licensed/inspected slaughterhouse. They slaughter and package the meat. When she picks it up each package is labeled and flash frozen. She puts it in her freezer and advertises it for sale. She advertises on local agricultural sites, feed stores and such.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I friend of mine ships her meat goats to a USDA licensed/inspected slaughterhouse. They slaughter and package the meat. When she picks it up each package is labeled and flash frozen. She puts it in her freezer and advertises it for sale. She advertises on local agricultural sites, feed stores and such.
Do you have any idea what she gets per pound? What cuts she has done and if she has trouble selling it? I am right on the border of 2 states and have a butcher on both sides I trust. I also have a USDA close by so I am weighing the pros and cons ($$) of everything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.