Semen Straws?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by SterlingAcres, May 24, 2010.

1. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Question...

I found a semen bank in NH that has some really nice spermies on ice lol. Can someone please explain the basics to me because I cannot find any Q&A on their website.

Do they ship it to me and I do it? Do they come here and AI the does? What's the deal?

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    More than likely you have to pay for the straws, pay to ship it to you, pay to ship the container back, and either learn to do AI yourself or pay someone to do it. It gets expensive.

Also, youu have to time the does heats perfect so that they take - and depending on the age of the straws - that is an issue also!

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Exactly!! :thumbup:

Cheaper and easier to spend the $ for an "active" and awesome buck :wink:

4. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Member

Oct 19, 2009
    Figured it was worth a shot. MCH Twin Creeks BH Bay Watch ++*S E is on ice. I'm halfway across the country, so breeding my does to him isn't really an option but I would loooooove to have the genetics. :( Poo.

5. Perfect7

Perfect7 New Member

Apr 19, 2010
    South Georgia
    I have no experience with it personally, but sometimes vets do AI. The guy we got our buckling from provides AI services and used AI services from other breeders himself. He said there is a shot they give to their does to bring them into heat within 7 days, and if I'm not mistaken he said the tanks keep the semen good for awhile????? There's only like a 70% chance it would take, though, from what I was told. I don't think the process would be hard at all, just getting the timing right.