Semen: The Artifical Way

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Amos, Oct 15, 2008.

1. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Ok, so I don't think this will be too innapropriate, but correct me if I'm wrong.

So after carefully considering costs in transportation, I've decided that buying some semen straws might not be a bad idea..

But I know nothing about handling/purchasing/storing semen!

So my questions are:
    1. How is semen stored? When you get it, does it need to be frozen, heated or what?
    2. If you purchase several semen straw amounts, from out of state or further, how would it be shipped to you? A cooler? heated?
    3. Is there any way, that I should be aware of, that could destroy the cells in the semen? Such as inserting it or storage? I know certain ways of drawing blood can ruin blood cells, but I really know nothing about semen.
    4. How would you insert it? An AP? Is there such thing as an AP? Any special technique?

What are the drawbacks of Artifical Insemenation?
    As of now I'm not focusing on collecting, just purchasing some from a nice buck to breed my girls.

Also.. If you were curious as to whom I'm considering purchasing semen from:
    http://www.blissberry.com/
    Thinking 5 straws from either *B Kastdemur's Almost Famous, or 5 straws from GCH +*B Lakeshore Farms Final Request. Their info can be found under herdsires, and prices of semen can be found under 'Semen For Sale'

Good thing is, they're only about 45 minutes away from us, and we go into Alexandria atleast once if not more, times a month.

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

you will need a nitrogen tank, or know someone that has one to store the semen. There is a special way to transport it from the shipper to the tank...though i dont know how as i have never done it. You will also need an AI kit that includes a light a speculum and other things. It helps to have a milk stand that you can put the doe on. Iknow people who use special bars that fit on the sides of the stand many with a sling under the does belly to keep her from moving too much. You have to time AI just right in the cycle to make sure everything goes right...you do it to soon and the doe wont be bred...you do it too late and she has already dropped her eggs and wont settle. I havnt done AI yet but have watched a friend do it. Someday i will have the set up to do so. I know some vets will store semen and do AI for people.
    beth

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    you will need a semen tank ..........there are different sizes...........which are not cheap ...........you have to watch the tank for any changes ect......It's not like......... set it........ and forget it.............the tank is kept at sub temps..........you never want the semen warm...............until the moment you are going to inseminate...
    ............the AI breeder had a .......thing..... a....... ma........ gig that warmed it up.......to a precise temperature ..................With goats.......... I do not know how the procedure is............. from what I explained is for cattle AI ........I am sure it is close to that............

there can be alot of maintenance with the tanks....the older they are the more likely they can lose there vacuum ........that is bad .....if the temp reaches a certain warmth degree.......... your semen is history.........

and also remember that .........not all semen insemination's take...........

shipment would be in a cooler.........of some kind......

hope this gives you an idea............ :)

4. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    So it might be best if I took the does over there to where they have the semen? And then they would have to be watched closely to see when the time is right, and that could cost even more money =\

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I would imagine that if you know your does and can tell when they are in standing heat, that would be the time to do the AI...I have read some on it but never did this before. If you have a buck or one close by, use a "buck rag", a whiff of this will show you when your girls want serviced.

6. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I found some tanks, but the cheapest is $225 :hair:

7. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

that is really cheap. average cost when i was looking is five hundred. and then there is the cost of the nitrogen most tank have to be filled every three to six months. This is why i chose just to have bucks for now. Although AI gives you so many more options you can acess to three hundred bucks at any given time just by going to your tank.
    beth

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Is there any way to talk to the AI person?

Ask if he or she can come to your ranch with the preferred semen from that ranch................ how much ........ it would cost for him or her to do it (total cost) .......and when is the proper time to inseminate your does??

9. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Ranch? Oh you flatter me Toth XD

Actually one of our does right now is in a raging heat, but, I don't want to breed right now, I don't want winter babies. My family is friends/relatives with several dairy cow farmers, might be able to borrow one if they have any,

10. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :) ...........that would be really nice.......... if you could borrow one.... :thumbup:

11. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Wow, I just had an idea from reading these posts, maybe some folks already do this, but I haven't seen it listed as a service on anyone's site. I have seen concern from those with bucks about breeding does without health assurances, perfectly understandable. Then others provide the semen straws, but the cost for storage seems prohibitive for many, unless you have a vet or someone to help. How about those with the bucks providing the AI service there. They already have the storage facilities, this way their bucks don't come in contact with anyone else's does. They could even offer storage for other herdsires. Just an idea...

12. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    Do dairy goat people not use CIDRs to synchronize and bring a doe into heat?

13. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    I don't know what CIDRs is so I can't help you there.

14. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    CIDRS might be something like lutalyse? (not to be off topic , but i'd like info on that (lutalyse.))

15. badnewsboers

badnewsboers New Member

May 9, 2008
    Newport, NC
    "CIDRS are a synchronization device used mainly in sheep and goats, although they are also used in cattle. They are made of a hard plastic and impregnated with a hormone called progesterone. While the CIDR is in place, progesterone is released into the system of the goat. When the CIDR is removed, there will be a rapid fall in the progesterone level, much in the same way as the progesterone falls during the normal cycle."

You out the CIDRS in for two weeks, take them out and the animal is in heat within 48 hours. An injection of PMSG can be given with it. You have to use multiple injections of Lutalyse. No breeder I know uses lutalyse. I've heard the conception rate is lower with it than with the CIDR.

16. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I'm pretty sure dairy people use CIDR's too, at least some of them.

17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Oh and BTW Amos, I bought some kids from Sara (Blissberry) this year, she's got some GORGEOUS goats, and she is so nice!

18. creaturesall

creaturesall New Member

Oct 26, 2007
    Langdon, AB Canada
  19. newtogoats

newtogoats New Member

Aug 27, 2008
  20. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Yes Bethany she does, I've seen several in the show ring.