Senior goat has fever and cough

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 21goaties, Nov 14, 2020.

1. 21goaties

21goaties Well-Known Member

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Our 12 year old wether George has had some random bouts of coughing over the last couple of days. He is not coughing constantly but when he does it sounds dry.
    We took his temp last night and it was 105 F, so we started him on Tylan 200. Used the 1cc per 25 lbs dosage and gave 8 ccs since per the weight tape he is about 190 lbs.
    At about noon today took his temp again and it was 105.7 F. Should we give banamine? If the Tylan is going to help when should we see improvement?
    He is eating and drinking. He is acting very slightly wobbly (I assume due to fever). And his appetite is decreased some. Usually his evening mush is gone by morning. But about half of it is still there (he is still slowly eating it).
    He also has oak branches available and was eating those last night and ate some more just now.
    We counted his respirations per minute and it was normal, 12 breaths a minute.
    We tried listening to his lungs with a stethoscope and didn't hear any loud crackling but don't know exactly what to listen for.
    He has been getting 1000mg of vit C per day for months. I gave him another 1000mg (two 500mg chewables) just now but he had them last night too.
    He had a clean standard fecal on Oct 10th 2020 and his FAMACHA is pink.
    I am going to send in a fecal to check for lungworms but need to get enough pellets from him first. He has had lungworm show up on a fecal in the past but didn't have symptoms then.
    Any advice?

MadHouse likes this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes give banamine.

It may take a couple of days to see improvement. If it takes longer get a stronger antibiotic from a vet.

Being wobbly is concerning.
    About 4 hours or so, after giving antibiotics, give a big dose of fortified vit b complex SQ 6 cc’s per 100 lbs 2 or 3 x a day spread it out, give daily for a while until the wobbly effect goes away. Then 1 x a day for a couple more days.
    That may be polio starting.

MadHouse likes this.

3. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Got it. His rumen is working right now.
    He had an episode where he started breathing very fast and then panted with his mouth open. We immediately gave 2cc of banamine. This happened very fast in like 10 minutes. It started right after he gulped a quart of electrolytes.
    He was also in the sun when it started. He is lying in the shade right now and not panting any more but his respirations are still too fast (but not as fast as they were.)
    We called the vet and he is out of town. He said it may take 24 hrs for the antibiotics and banamine to work but that he may need a different antibiotic.
    We are going to get a different vet to come out if he doesn't improve.

4. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Okay his respiration is back to normal. His fever went down a degree and he started shivering very slightly. We gave another shot of Tylan and a shot of fortified b complex an hour ago.
    We found a vet that can come tomorrow if he doesn't improve. His appetite is depressed but he will eat leaves and grass (and grain, but he's not getting that) . Took a few bites of his mush and he also has perennial peanut hay available. He is chewing cud.

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  5. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sounds like he is doing a little better. I hope he continues to improve.

MadHouse likes this.
  6. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    It says on @happybleats website that Tylan 200 should be twice a day, we have been doing it one time a day. Which is it?

happybleats likes this.
  7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I had learned early on from a goat mentor to use Tylan 200 2 times a day. It had always been effective for us this way. Often when people say Tylan 200 is not working is when given once a day.

8. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    To add to all of this good advice, I would start on 4 cloves of garlic daily.

Watch for any drooling, flanking, or neurological symptoms.

MadHouse likes this.
  9. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Okay we gave another shot of Tylan and b complex. He doesn't really have an appetite and just wants to lay down but will get up if you act like you are going to take his temp. Temp this morning is 104.8 F. He did pee and poop. I got up a few times last night and gave him warm molasses water. He's eating minerals right now.

MadHouse likes this.
  10. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    I would probably give another dose of banamine. Again, the garlic will boost the antibiotic's efficacy.

TCOLVIN likes this.
  11. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good advice.

Temp still high, if not better in a day or 2, go to another drug.

Yes 2 x a day with that antibiotic. So dosing it proper may help.
    But if not better as suggested above get a different drug.

GoofyGoat likes this.
  12. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    We have a vet coming

MadHouse likes this.
  13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good decision, let us know what they say.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  14. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Vet said it is most likely pneumonia, his lungs sound raspy. She said he doesn't have a heart murmur so it is unlikely that it's his heart but possible.
    Vet gave him another 2cc of banamine IV.
    He also got a shot of Draxxin and we have another one to give in 4 days. I assume we should continue the Tylan 200? We had collected a fecal earlier so she took it (going to use McMasters method on it) and we should have results tomorrow. But his FAMACHA is fine.
    I'll send another fecal to meadowmist to check for lungworms too.

Now I have to get him to eat and drink. Poor buddy just wants to rest. He will eat certain types of leaves and he ate a chopped up apple and carrot this morning.

MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    If he gets pelleted anything of any sort I would make up a slurry, and warm flat dark beer.

MadHouse likes this.
  16. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    I meant to mention, the medicine cabinet 2020 doesn't say to give Tylan 200 twice a day. It just says give for 5 days

17. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Also I meant to ask why 4 hours after giving antibiotics? We gave b complex at the same time we gave the antibiotics, I thought that the 4 hours later thing was for probiotics.

18. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    How do you warm the beer? How long do you let it sit out? Thanks

19. NigerianDwarfOwner707

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    So if it came refrigerated, pour it in a bowl and let it sit until it’s room temp. If it is unrefrigerated, pour it in a bowl and whisk it around to flatten it.

I shouldn’t have said warm - it’s room temp.

MadHouse likes this.
  20. 21goaties

Mar 13, 2018
    Southern GA
    Thank you! We are going to give the beer, b complex shot and tylan 200 shot (he got draxxin earlier too) at the same time. That ok?
    He's not wanting to eat now so I hope the beer helps.

MadHouse likes this.