The Goat Spot Forum banner

Senior Saanen Doe Not Producing Milk

1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  lazysummer 
#1 ·
I have a senior saanen doe that is not producing milk. I am new to the breed but have had nigerian goats for a long time. During her last milking, she was giving a gallon a day. Then I milked her off an on for a little bit and let the rest dry up only that one side didn't really dry up but kept half full all the way until she had her next kidding on August 30th. I noticed that one side had a little come out but the side that was still half full only had amber clear liquid (like dark pee in color) come out. I milked it all out but it is not filling back up. The other side only has a little tiny bit coming out. The baby looks to be getting something because she looks to be in good health but is constantly trying to nurse. Does anyone know what might be wrong? Thank you so much.
:confused:

#4 ·
I agree with Karen...sounds like her udder is infected...I would treat for mastisis...and keep a close watch to be sure baby is getting what it needs...her milk could come in any day..I had a saanen who didnt let her milk down, barely had colostrum to feed her triplets! I was worried I would have to bottle raise and stumped because she is a larger producer! 2 days later her milk came in..weird...she was feeding her triplets AND we were milking nearly a bucket a day..!!

#6 ·
Thank you everyone. I used TODAY and LA 200 on her. Do you know when would be okay for the baby to nurse her again? One is looks to be okay, but the other is the one not producing. When it says milk withdrawal, does that mean for nursing kids or just for human consumption?

#7 ·
Has the baby been nursing? If you are only doing one side, the baby can nurse on the other side. Just don't drink for human consumption.

Keep doing the LA200 and the Today. Make sure you do a full course of the LA200 and follow the directions for the Today.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.