The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive heard buckling need to be separated at around two months. If kept in the pen longer will mom accommodate him if in heat? Hes definitely trying and have a feeling he bred a fowling I had in there last week. She was red swollen back there and had a messy tail.

Hes not tall enough to reach them but if they get lower ...that's another story.

·
2,377 Posts
Are you needing a buckling? If not.. its really easy and simple to do a quick wether job then all your worries will be over. If you want a buck.. you will need to separate if there are things going on and he will need to be weaned. It wasnt a problem for us at that age but we do make them wethers before 10 weeks old.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts
The babies we keep on their dams are kept with them until at least the 3 month mark and we have never had an accident. BUT by the time the last of our babies are 3 months old (about now) our does have not even thought of coming into heat yet. We kid out soon enough that by Sept. 1st, all the babies have been pulled.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
What kind of goats. If he is a boer buck and is bringing "it" out, he can breed. If he is just mimicking the move and not bringing it out. He is OK until 2.5 minimum to 3 months old Maximum. ;)
I agree, check it out and see what is going on. I have 2 month old boys who are humping away but their penis is not coming out. The wetness might also be pee. I noticed on those same little boys that there is wetness so Im thinking it might have been pee. I also agree am going to do the same here soon, if your worried band them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts