The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 4 goats, a wether, a buck, a doe and a doeling. The wether and doeling (brother and sister), they were sold together and very attached! They freak out when they're not together. The wether Resin even mounts his sister Rosie all the time. I didn't think my buck would do it since he never showed any interest in either lady but Rosie the doeling is pregnant! She is 16 months old currently and I estimate she is around 4 months preggo. I can feel and see the baby kicking, and she has been developing an udder. Yay! Her first baby and my first goat baby! The problem: Rosie has been detaching from Resin now that she's close to her due date. She kinda sits by herself a lot now and gets space from the herd, although I can still feel her ligaments clearly. Resin has not been responding to her detachment well because he's still just as attached. He constantly tries to mount her to get her attention which freaks me out because his little hooves are scraping on her huge preggo belly, and he even has headbutted her on her right side which really scares me. I thought a good solution would be to separate the ladies from the boys at night and let them hang out together during the day. So 5 days ago I started doing just that. It was also a benefit because then I can give the girls more alfalfa. Anyways, we let them out in the morning to hang out with each other and Resin is so overjoyed to see her in the morning he mounts her like 5 times in a row in his excitement, before being chill until nighttime when he screams for hours after I separate them. Every time he jumps on her I want to pull my hair out!

I don't like to keep them fully separated because it punishes my buck and other doe who still like to see each other, also I'm not sure if she is pregnant but I want her to be so I don't want to restrict her buck access. I keep them together because she is huge and he is smaller and honestly I'm just not sure if he can reach her lol. Also I have a 75 acre property that I let them hang out in all day freely without fencing, I only fence their pen at night. I have a tenant on property who is moving out at the end of the month and that area is where they were staying was where I was planning on building the two pens right next to each other so that they can be separated but still see each other. But for now the two pens I have are far enough away from each other where they can hear but not see. So I know my fencing isn't ideal at the moment.

Basically it freaks me out that he tries to mount her all the time. Would this cause an abortion?!

·
Registered
871 Posts
I know it seems cruel, but if u want to truly break the bond then keep Resin penned. Reintroducing them daily only prolongs the inevitable. It’s best if they can’t see each other. If you can put a companion with him that would help. Eventually when Rosie kids, you will want to separate her for a few days to allow her and babies to bond and monitor her. Better to get them used to being apart now than adding extra stress at birthing time. As she gets closer to due date, you may consider separating her in a kidding pen and letting Resin roam with the herd. Hopefully by that time he has bonded with another companion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know it seems cruel, but if u want to truly break the bond then keep Resin penned. Reintroducing them daily only prolongs the inevitable. It’s best if they can’t see each other. If you can put a companion with him that would help. Eventually when Rosie kids, you will want to separate her for a few days to allow her and babies to bond and monitor her. Better to get them used to being apart now than adding extra stress at birthing time. As she gets closer to due date, you may consider separating her in a kidding pen and letting Resin roam with the herd. Hopefully by that time he has bonded with another companion.
Yeah I keep him with my buck Merlin but Resin seemingly hates him and Merlin seems like he dgaf lol. Do you think it would be too stressful if I separated her several days before she kids? It's so hard to balance what's more stressful - being alone, or dealing with her bro. I know they will both freak her out. She's also part fainting goat and she's getting so skittish now - she fainted yesterday when I walked up behind her and she heard my footsteps! I drove by the goat pen going 2mph and she fainted at the sound of the car! At least she has a lady friend right now. I'll have to start keeping girls and boys completely separate until I make a pen where they can see each other. It's so stressful trying to keep her stress free lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Put the wether in with buck. You don't want him with your girl, who is probably secreting pregnancy hormones by now.. He will get over it.
Yeah I keep him with the buck at night but I think I'll do what everyone suggests and keep boys and girls fully separate until she kids, then I'll put my non pregnant doe in with the boys. She's a lot taller than my buck so I don't think he can reach her yet haha so they can still hang out together until she does.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.