The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to separate baby at night and milk mama in the morning. She is three weeks and has been gaining 2# per week (Nigerian dwarf) I don't have any other kids. Could I put her in a medium sized dog kennel in the stall?

Also, she has been picking at mamas food. When do I need to offer her her own kid grower in a creep area? Would the kennel also serve as the creep if I blocked the door small enough?

Thanks

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
Yes you can put her in a kennel...while there is no room for water I would not feed grain at bed time...maybe offer a little in the AM while milking mom...she can then have a good suckle when mom is done..: )

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I've done the kennel two nights in a row. First night great....moms udder was full in the a.m. and I milked out 3 cups. This morning, one side was soft and one side was full......she must've figured out how to nurse through the kennel. Its one of those wire kind.
Where there's a will, there's a way

·
Registered
30,555 Posts
lol...yep they figure it out lol...I would move his kennel in a stall, room or some where he cant get mom :p

·
Registered
119 Posts
When I started to seperate momma and kid at night, I put my only kid in a stall by himself at night. Yeah, he cries about it but he can hear his mom and knows she is in the stall over. I had a question similar to this thread but it was about the kid beating up on moms udder every morning after I milked her. But happybleats suggested giving him grain in the morning while waiting for his mom to be milked before they reunite... and it was a good idea. Because he started out nibbling the grain to deal with the antisipation on waiting for his momma and it helped him fill his belly enough so he does not beat up on momma's udder... and it worked! He now waits for his grain with excitement and chows down now on it. He does not cry for momma in the morning anymore. He knows to be patient in waiting for momma! It's all about having a daily routine that they are able to adjust well.

·
Katrina
3,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She's not quite eating grain. She will nibble mommas food, but not enough. I also haven't seen her drink water. She does beat up moms udder too. Little stinker will lay right under momma and drink from both teats. I put a small bowl of water and her kid grain in the crate tonight. At what age do they eat and drink? She's 3.5 weeks.

·
Super Moderator
58,834 Posts
Anywhere from 2 weeks on. Usually around the 4 week mark. But don't be surprised if you have one that takes longer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts