The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I started separating the kids last weekend and it's gone surprisingly well. The kids get a little excited when I go out to milk in the morning, as they know they get out soon! LOL However... I'm already outgrowing my current setup. I've been putting them (all 6 of them) in an XL dog crate (airline carrier type). It's simply NOT going to be big enough for much longer. They all cuddle up to sleep anyway - and they dont go into it until I go to bed... but still. It's about 24"x48" or so. NOT big enough for 6 kids as they grow.

Now my other option, is to re-create my "kidding stalls" - in which case I just divided my small barn in half with some welded wire fencing. It worked great with one adult on either side - and worked fine with an adult and her kids on either side. But I'm worried that if I put BABIES on one side, and mommas on the other (with access to outside)... there is a risk of mommas getting a foot stuck in the fencing, trying to get to the babies.

Moms dont seem at all concerned about me putting babies in the crate, so I dont know if it's even an issue. And, I mean, I have the same type of fencing for their pen anyway. They put their front feet up on it from time to time. Haven't gotten stuck... but they're not trying to get OVER it either.

What do you all think? Is the risk too great? I could probably take some plywood or something out there and make a solid divider if necessary. What do you all do? The crate would have worked fine if there weren't 6 of the lil buggars! LOL

·
Goatless goat momma
7,887 Posts
i do the dog crate thing at night, but i only have one buckling and one momma. she seems relieved for him to be in there now...kind of leaves him be. he's the one who's desperate to get out and have some milk!

maybe try the wire one night and see how it goes? if you see mommas or babies trying to climb over, then put something more solid up??

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I might just do that. Mom's seem content in knowing babies are safe... so hopefully it wont be an issue. We just have such long days up here right now - starts getting light around 5am and isn't fully dark till after 10pm - so I worry that they'll get fussy in the morning before I go out there around 6:30. I'll just try it out this weekend and see how it goes. I'm close enough that I should be able to hear any screaming if someone gets stuck.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts