Separators - Opinions

Discussion in 'Equipment For Sale' started by kdnelson, Aug 8, 2010.

1. kdnelson

kdnelson New Member

Aug 7, 2010
    We milk a cow (sometimes 3) along with "my girls" - the dairy goats. I would like to be able to quickly separate my cow milk/cream versus spooning it - after letting it set several hours. I know I'll go electric because the reason I would be buying a separator it is to ease my time constraints and I've read how much talent and practice a manual separator takes.
    Any and all insight and opinions on the pros and cons of the various electric separators available right now are welcome.
    Thanks so much.
    Kara

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sorry, I can't help as far as the type of separator...I'll stick to skimming as those things are pricey! lol

Hoeggars goat supply has 2 in stock...manual and electric, the manual one isn't that much cheaper so maybe the electric would be better and less time consuming?

www.thegoatstore.com

3. maple hill farm tina

maple hill farm tina Senior Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Rich Patch, Virginia
    I got the manual cream separator from Hoeggers. It was expensive, and we've only used it twice (we drink the milk far too quickly to think about making butter or ice cream often). We chose the manual because it's less likely to break down. It's not a lot of work to turn the crank, but make sure you REALLY have it anchored down because it'll jump if it's not properly clamped. All in all, we'll probably sell it eventually. We just don't use it often enough to justify its cost.
    -Tina