The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I am looking into livestock protectors. The two protectors I am most interested in are donkeys and LGD's. I would prefer the donkeys, but do they stay with the herd? Can you give me pros and cons? If they won't work for me, I might be interested in a LGD. Can you give me the pros and cons on them?

I am also looking into Mini Jersey cows. I have always loved full sized Jerseys, we used to milk some among others when we commercially dairyed, and my personal cow was my handpicked Jersey. I LOVE them. I even considered dairying by myself with minis, but couldn't let go of my goaties. :) Now I am considering getting one heifer- and raising her with the goats and when she freshens she will feed most of my kids so that I get the goat's milk. My questions:

1. Can you give me pros and cons on mini Jerseys? How are their attitudes?

2. Will a full grown mini cow do okay with the goats, or will she not like it and neither will they?

3. Will a BABY heifer do well growing up with kids?

4. At what age / weight can you breed a mini heifer?

6. What price can I expect to pay for a one/two maybe more week old heifer? What price for one older, like an adult mini Jersey? For a nice one that is. (good attachments, strucually sound.)

7. If she is loved just like my goats, and gets special attention, will she be a horror when she kids and constantly kick? (I know fullsized Jerseys can sure do that!)

Thanks all for any help you can give me!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts