Seperate Q's about LGD's, donkeys, and Mini-Jerseys

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by ozarksvalley, Jan 2, 2008.

1. ozarksvalley

ozarksvalley New Member

Nov 22, 2007
    Missouri
    Hi all! I am looking into livestock protectors. The two protectors I am most interested in are donkeys and LGD's. I would prefer the donkeys, but do they stay with the herd? Can you give me pros and cons? If they won't work for me, I might be interested in a LGD. Can you give me the pros and cons on them?

I am also looking into Mini Jersey cows. I have always loved full sized Jerseys, we used to milk some among others when we commercially dairyed, and my personal cow was my handpicked Jersey. I LOVE them. I even considered dairying by myself with minis, but couldn't let go of my goaties. :) Now I am considering getting one heifer- and raising her with the goats and when she freshens she will feed most of my kids so that I get the goat's milk. My questions:

1. Can you give me pros and cons on mini Jerseys? How are their attitudes?

2. Will a full grown mini cow do okay with the goats, or will she not like it and neither will they?

3. Will a BABY heifer do well growing up with kids?

4. At what age / weight can you breed a mini heifer?

6. What price can I expect to pay for a one/two maybe more week old heifer? What price for one older, like an adult mini Jersey? For a nice one that is. (good attachments, strucually sound.)

7. If she is loved just like my goats, and gets special attention, will she be a horror when she kids and constantly kick? (I know fullsized Jerseys can sure do that!)

Thanks all for any help you can give me!

2. LiddleGoteGurl

LiddleGoteGurl New Member

Nov 29, 2007
    WI
    I also talked to my parents about getting a mini Jersey!!! So I hope someone knows something about them. Those are all questions that I need answered also.

3. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    I'm going to move this to the forum about guardians. :)

4. getchagoat (Julie)

getchagoat (Julie) New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Waco, KY
    Actually, I hadn't read all the way through. You may want 2 separate posts - one in protectors area and one in other pets.