The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a buck kid boer that is 2 months old that is being very bucky. Not mounting other boys, just the girl kids and he is blubbering and pawing. I saw his penis out of the sheath, so I seperated him from his mom and all the girls and put him in with the big boys. I was letting him in to nurse his mom and then seperate him again 5 or 6 times a day. Today when I let him in, his mom wouldn't let him nurse, so this is where I need y'alls opinions. I like them to stay on their mom for 3-4 months ideally, but if I let him do that he is going to breed someone, probably a young girl that doesn't need to be bred. His mom still has her daughter on her, so she's not drying up. Why do you think she wouldn't let him nurse today?? Will he be ok being weaned now??? He was born on 2-15, so I guess he is about 10 weeks old. Thanks, Denise

·
Registered
417 Posts
I would say that he smells funny! LOL! He probably smells like the other bucks that are not related which is why mom doesnt want to nurse him. 10 weeks is ok to wean. I once had a doe wean at 5 weeks (mom bloated and died) and she is fine. We normally send our kids off to their new homes at 10 weeks. Just be absolutely sure he is eating hay, grain and grass and drinking water.

CJ

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I'm having sort of the same "issue".....how are your big boys towards the little guy?

Bootsie would nurse her kids forever if I let her! I have Teddy in a stall in the buck shed, he can see them but I am just to scared that Hank will slam him and Chief keeps trying to ride him. He too is 10 weeks old and already makes his face wet so I figured it was time to move him. At 10 weeks they do eat more on their own as well as enjoy a cool drink of water from the bucket, so weaning isn't an issue...it's where to keep the "rotten lil' boys"!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your input, it definitely made me feel better. I am continueing to let him in with his mom a few times a day and she will sometimes let him get a drink IF his sister is also nursing.
Liz, I am lucky in that regard, I put him and 2 other boys his age in a pasture with a buck (their daddy) and 2 huge pet wethers and they all get along fine. The big guys have each other to pick on when they get in the mood so the little guys just watch. :eek:) Thanks , Denise

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
Thats great that he has buddies his own size! Right now, my lil' guy is half the size of his dad and they pick on each other! So it's a good thing and they have been great all afternoon....I don't have the option of letting mine with his mom...he's already making his face wet!! Don't want any "accidents"! :ROFL:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts