The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all, i am a newbie to the forum and need some advice. lol

I just separated my fainting nannies and kids. They are 8 weeks old, eating on their own, so they are old enough, but they just keep calling for their mommies. : ( How long do they usually do this? It is breaking my heart.
At what age do you start worming the kids and when is it safe to treat for lice? I bought a buck not knowing it had lice. : ( What is the best treatment for lice?
Thank You

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I always let my does wean their kids themselves. Makes the transition a lot smoother.

·
Goat Girl
2,018 Posts
They should quit in a week or so. You can worm kids at any time, these are definitely old enough. Any time they are stressed it is a good idea to worm them as worms like to take over when the goats are stressed. Weaning is stressful for both mom and babies, so I would worm all of them. You can also treat for lice at any time. I usually use the livestock dust that kills lice, or just use some of the ivermectin pour on for cattle. Both work very well. You can buy a product called Cylence that is sprayed on the goat and that will kill the lice. Clipping them also helps to get rid of the lice. Just remember to treat both the goats and their bedding, inside sheds and anywhere they typically sleep.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts