·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I was thinking that too. Just not sure what to add to the mix to help out, that might make a difference without being excessive in cost or availability.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,391 Posts
It won’t hurt. It helps with BP because of the tannins in it. Oak leaves are the same.

Feed it the same way you would forage pellets/alfalfa pellets. It is a legume, not a grain.

Growing it as forage is great.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It won't hurt. It helps with BP because of the tannins in it. Oak leaves are the same.

Feed it the same way you would forage pellets/alfalfa pellets. It is a legume, not a grain.

Growing it as forage is great.
Anything that can help us good , if reasonable to get or grow. Have you grown it?

what is the situation with oak leaves?

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
I have a friend who is an animal science professor who specialized in pasure and parasite management when she got her PHD. at NC State. They did a study on lespedeza and found that it does in fact reduce egg counts. However, after you stop feeding it to them the egg counts go back up, so it's not really a wormer.
With that said she has her own herd and has planted lespedeza on some of her pastures. It grows really well around here in NC and goats do love it. We have access to lespedeza hay and get it when we can.
They love it and it's good for them so it's a winner.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wow. That’s really helpful information

I feel if we could allow them access to it during peak times for worms that could certainly help! Also, reading that plants and leaves with high tannins are fed or they have access to, perhaps they can be of assistance to them also.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have a friend who is an animal science professor who specialized in pasure and parasite management when she got her PHD. at NC State. They did a study on lespedeza and found that it does in fact reduce egg counts. However, after you stop feeding it to them the egg counts go back up, so it's not really a wormer.
With that said she has her own herd and has planted lespedeza on some of her pastures. It grows really well around here in NC and goats do love it. We have access to lespedeza hay and get it when we can.
They love it and it's good for them so it's a winner.
Hi Iheartgoats - I am near you in NC and was wondering if you would be willing to share where you have access to lespedeza hay? I typically buy it in pellet form but it has been very difficult to obtain lately. Thanks! Kristen

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Iheartgoats - I am near you in NC and was wondering if you would be willing to share where you have access to lespedeza hay? I typically buy it in pellet form but it has been very difficult to obtain lately. Thanks! Kristen
I noticed there's limits on pellet orders.

Would this grow in a northern Wisconsin climate?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts