The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We found one of our goats out in the field after she had been missing for a few hours unable to stand and walk. She seemed very stressed as well, her pupils were dilated and she has nystagmus. She was totally fine this morning when I let them all out. Whatever is going on came on within hours of her going out. I went ahead and treated for listeriosis. We’ve had two confirmed cases and one suspected of listeriosis over the last six months. Should I treat for polio and meningeal worms as well? I had one case of meningeal last May. She also is a new mother. Do I need to pull her kid? He is about two weeks old.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would get a bet involved first and foremost but for now yes I think you should test for polio and especially meningeal as that seems to be more likely the cause. As for her kid I wouldn’t interfere until you get your doe to a vet

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I would leave her kid stalled with her to reduce her stress but begin offering him bottles of goat kid replacer or milk from another doe. Be sure it's at 100*F and cover his head so it's dark like under the dam. Wait until he is very hungry to attempt bottle. Also keep hay, grain, and water available at his level 24/7.

I would definitely treat for polio simultaneously as Listeriosis as it will not hurt and it's impossible to tell which is the cause. If she responds quickly, it's more likely Polio. Meningeal Worm is less likely as you would have seen progressive weakness rather than sudden onset. It's not impossible, but I'd personally give 48 hours of polio/Listeriosis treatment first.

Are you including Banamine or Dexamethasone in your treatment? Be sure to!

Keep an eye on her udder but she is likely so dehydrated that milk production won't be an issue.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Do you possibly have any toxic herbs out there? I once saw such symptoms, and it did heal by itself. I later discovered a toxic plant she had most probably consumed.

And welcome to our group of goat lovers!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would leave her kid stalled with her to reduce her stress but begin offering him bottles of goat kid replacer or milk from another doe. Be sure it's at 100*F and cover his head so it's dark like under the dam. Wait until he is very hungry to attempt bottle. Also keep hay, grain, and water available at his level 24/7.

I would definitely treat for polio simultaneously as Listeriosis as it will not hurt and it's impossible to tell which is the cause. If she responds quickly, it's more likely Polio. Meningeal Worm is less likely as you would have seen progressive weakness rather than sudden onset. It's not impossible, but I'd personally give 48 hours of polio/Listeriosis treatment first.

Are you including Banamine or Dexamethasone in your treatment? Be sure to!

Keep an eye on her udder but she is likely so dehydrated that milk production won't be an issue.
I do have dex and banamine. I started the dex with the Nuflor. We are heading to the barn soon to give thiamine injection.

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I do have dex and banamine. I started the dex with the Nuflor. We are heading to the barn soon to give thiamine injection.
How is she today?

I've never heard of treating Listeriosis with Nuflor - was that your veterinarian's instruction last time you had Listeria in your herd? I would definitely recommend using Penicillin since that is the tried & true method of treatment.

This is a long read but outlines the symptoms and treatment of both Polio & Listeriosis: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html
This is the treatment plan that "everybody uses"!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How is she today?

I've never heard of treating Listeriosis with Nuflor - was that your veterinarian's instruction last time you had Listeria in your herd? I would definitely recommend using Penicillin since that is the tried & true method of treatment.

This is a long read but outlines the symptoms and treatment of both Polio & Listeriosis: http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/listeriosis.html
This is the treatment plan that "everybody uses"!
She seems to be doing better. She is getting up on her own and walking around steadier. We've administered 2 shots of thiamine so far. The last vet visit I had, I told him I had Nuflor and he seemed to think it was fine to use. He was going to give me Nuflor Gold. I have a friend who is a vet tech who works with livestock Dr.'s who say to use the Nuflor treatment for five doses, treating every other day. I will read the link you attached.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nuflor for listeria?
It is PenG which is used for that.

If she responded to the thiamine so quickly, I would suspect polio. Listeria responds later. Not that quickly.
Yeah, that's why I don't trust the vets around here. I'm going to get a bottle of penicillin to have on hand. I took a goat to vet last month for, what i thought was a tumor. She was going to numb the area and cut it off. I told her I would think about that. The lump in question has almost disappeared.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nuflor for listeria?
It is PenG which is used for that.

If she responded to the thiamine so quickly, I would suspect polio. Listeria responds later. Not that quickly.
How long do I need to do thiamine treatment? I did the 24 hour with last injection at 11 last night. She has improved greatly, but still slightly stiff legged. Do I just treat until she is back to normal?

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
Yes unfortunately it is a ton of work but really best to continue thiamine every 4-6 hours for at least 48 hours after EVERY symptom has disappeared. Polio has a REALLY high rate of relapse so keep a close eye on her for stumbling, eye twitching, etc. for the next 6 months.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
To stay with the baby is more than normal, but it is certainly very normal for a kid to jump and run, if he does not, I get concerned.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts