The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last year we bought our goats all as babies to raise to breed, with the exception of two Boer girls. Its very exciting that we are now starting our first "official" kidding season. We did have two nanny's have babies in February and did very well, but I don't count that as a kidding season.

So far this is what we have gotten....one girl gave birth to twins two weeks early, both died, another nanny gave birth to twins last week, one on its way out this morning. Another nanny gave birth yesterday, so far so good......

I know the first set of twins were not developed enough, I've accepted that. This baby this morning though, I'm kinda in shock, she was up eating last night, doing well, this morning she is stiff as a board, breathing heavy, crying, but can't blink or move. I'm dumbfounded :(

I'm pretty sure I need to be medicated for anxiety at this point, because no matter how many times people have told me about a "mortality rate", I really never thought it would be this bad. I love these goats, and we do take good care of them, and I know things happen, but jeezzz, this is rough!!

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
So last year we bought our goats all as babies to raise to breed, with the exception of two Boer girls. Its very exciting that we are now starting our first "official" kidding season. We did have two nanny's have babies in February and did very well, but I don't count that as a kidding season.

So far this is what we have gotten....one girl gave birth to twins two weeks early, both died, another nanny gave birth to twins last week, one on its way out this morning. Another nanny gave birth yesterday, so far so good......

I know the first set of twins were not developed enough, I've accepted that. This baby this morning though, I'm kinda in shock, she was up eating last night, doing well, this morning she is stiff as a board, breathing heavy, crying, but can't blink or move. I'm dumbfounded :(

I'm pretty sure I need to be medicated for anxiety at this point, because no matter how many times people have told me about a "mortality rate", I really never thought it would be this bad. I love these goats, and we do take good care of them, and I know things happen, but jeezzz, this is rough!!
Did you give a pea size of replamin or sel/vit e gel or a shot of BoSe? And b complex? Did you dip cords in iodine? Sounds like it badly need selenium and b complex. Asap. Read up on white muscle disease.

Also... prior to breeding and during gestation... what did you do for your does? Mineral, selenium, wormed...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did you give a pea size of replamin or sel/vit e gel or a shot of BoSe? And b complex? Did you dip cords in iodine? Sounds like it badly need selenium and b complex.
I feel like this is weird, but our vet said not to worry about BoSe, we did do the B complex. I did not dip the cords. Can an infection cause that??

Forgive me for being completely ignorant to some of this stuff, but can I get that gel at the farm store, or is that something I need to get from the vet, also, is that something I should be giving all babies after birth?

·
Premium Member
4,710 Posts
I feel like this is weird, but our vet said not to worry about BoSe, we did do the B complex. I did not dip the cords. Can an infection cause that??

Forgive me for being completely ignorant to some of this stuff, but can I get that gel at the farm store, or is that something I need to get from the vet, also, is that something I should be giving all babies after birth?
You can get b complex and sel/vit e gel at the farm store. Yes always dip the cords. The gel will not hurt the kids but only a pea sized dollop. If your doe is mineral deficient so too will the kids be. What mineral does she have? BoSe is a concentrated selenium and needs be given with some vit e too... they work together for absorption. @mariarose @ksalvagno @toth boer goats ... how often can the sel gel be given to a nb kid? And do you think this lil doeling needs thiamine now too?

Make sure the kid is warm... 101.5 before she nurses again. If you have to milk a bit of colostrum from mom and feed it to her. But she needs these things now.

What mineral does the doe have available to her right now? Replamin is an excellent gel form. Do you give copper bolus to them?

Also eb @SalteyLove since i see you are on this mornin.

·
Registered
11,203 Posts
No - in a healthy herd losing 3 out of 6 kids is not normal and you have right to be anxious and frustrated.

Sending a big hug and deep breath your way.

For the 1 day old kid that is struggling right now - what is the rectal temperature? If below 101*F, get that kid warmed up NOW no matter what the outside temperature is. Use hot towels from the clothes dryer, hot water bottles, a heating pad, and a hair blow dryer.

Tell us what part of the country you live in so we can have a better idea of minerals deficiencies. Are you able to post any photo of the does who are pregnant & kidding in your herd for us? We may be able to spot mineral deficiencies that may be responsible for *SOME* of these issues.

Yes, it is a very good idea to have iodine on hand and to dip the cord of every kid born as soon after birth as possible.

·
Super Moderator
83,763 Posts
Check mama's milk and milk flow.
Make sure the milk is OK and not plugged.
The kid may of not of nursed enough throughout the night.
If mama was overly full and in pain (tight)with milk, she may of not allowed her baby to nurse, then, the kid went sub temp, especially if the night was cold.

Get a temp as suggested, if lower than 101, warm the kid up.
Then when the temp gets to 101, feed the kid some mama's milk, only if the kid can swallow.
You can feed with a syringe( no needle) slowly at the back corner of the mouth.
Getting a garbage bag, put the kid in it, with it's head out of the bag and so the kids head is out of the water too, so the kid stays dry.
This is the quickest way to warm them, not too hot, and add more warm water as the water gets too cool.
Check the temp of the kid from time to time.
Also heating pad, but not too hot, with a towel on it and around the kid.

Has the kid pooped?

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Hey guys, I think the baby that's sick is a week old, not a day old. That may make a difference to what the problem could be.

I'm sorry. I have no advice, but I hope things take a turn for the better soon!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
No advice, just wishes it will get better for you!

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
My husband is in the Hospital again tonight, and I'm exhausted and distracted But I'll help if I can. Someone please more fully explain what has happened and to what ages. We do need to know what minerals are being given to the mother, and when. We need to know what vaccinations were given to the mother and when. Has anyone in the herd had pneumonia, and if so, when.

The 2 babies who were born too early, what did they look like? That will help us figure out why they were born early, and if this condition has anything to do with this new one.

Does anyone, anywhere, have iodine?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts