Seriously thinking abut getting an LGD

Discussion in 'Precious Protectors' started by alwaystj9, Jan 18, 2021.

1. alwaystj9

alwaystj9 Well-Known Member

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I have been thinking about it for a while, someone has a 3 yr. old Great Pyrenees that lives with goats. What do I need to ask the owner?

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    I would ask which type of fencing they have and if the dog respects it. Also how much acreage there dog is accustomed to. And if the dog has been share with newborn stock.

3. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Sounds smart. I suspect my place is smaller. They don't have chickens, so don't know how she would react to mine.

Moers kiko boars and AlabamaGirl like this.
  4. Blessed Boer's

Blessed Boer's Active Member

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    I’m curious on this too. I just started looking into getting one or two but need them to be good with chickens so I’m thinking about getting a puppy and training myself.

5. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    I am looking for an already trained LGD to train me!

6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Can I suggest a Rescue for Lgds? The people who run these places are very knowledgable. I talked with them awhile before I got my Lgds.

7. Blessed Boer's

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    Great Idea! Do you know of any in Oklahoma?

alwaystj9 likes this.
  8. Blessed Boer's

Nov 7, 2019
    Shawnee, Oklahoma
    Sorry alwaystj9 not trying to steal your post.

alwaystj9 likes this.
  9. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Please, steal my post! How do you keep the dog's food safe from the goats? I think the dog might appreciate her own space sometimes, I just don't know how that could be done.

Iluvlilly! likes this.
  10. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Be warned they can be snippy especially if they have a taste for the goats grain and try to eat it (headsmash) our boy will always try to steal their grain when he has his own food but when he’s eating in his own corner they have learned the hard way to leave him alone, also make sure there’s no food aggression towards humans when you have these dogs you don’t want one that gets snippy with you or challenges you, when you’re trusting these dogs with your livestock you need one you can trust around your family as well our boy is the friendliest dog you could know if he knows you we have also learned that females like being a bit more mouthy with their teeth and there has been many cases where females have attacked babies and killed them we know a friend who just recently lost a goat due to one of her females snapping her neck and these dogs had been with goats their whole lifes

11. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Well that sounds ominous...

Noisy Bottle Babies likes this.
  12. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Either pull the dog out of the goat pen twice a day for feeding or use a physical obstruction. Some folks use a low gate the dog has to slip under, or a circular hole in a door the dog jumps through. Depends on the size and ability of your goats.

13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Don't let that scare you off from them. I know plenty of people who have never had anything like that happen.

alwaystj9 and Iluvlilly! like this.
  14. Noisy Bottle Babies

Noisy Bottle Babies Well-Known Member

Oct 7, 2019
    Galesville,WI
    Great pyres are work but not all are like this it’s just I’ve seen some pretty ill mannered dogs that hadn’t been trained properly as a puppy and that’s what happened the dog wasn't trained to be with babies and a accident happened and some of the times it can be the bloodline we have the half sister to that dog and she also snaps at babies so she will only be with the adults while my boy stays with the babies

alwaystj9 likes this.
  15. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

The first thing you do whether you get a puppy or an adult, is build a kennel inside your goat area. This is their place from the beginning and gives you somewhere to separate them when needed.

I've seen good ones and bad ones. I just can't take the barking though. They bark all night long every night.

16. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Unfortunately, my goats are incredibly able and very small.

17. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Do you mean a fenced in kennel? More than a doghouse, right?
    They bark all night? At what?

18. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Oh everything and anything. I keep mine shut in at night because all my animals are shut in too, but if they were out I'm sure they would be barking. They like to bark proactively to keep stuff away. They'll bark in the day time too. I've worked with mine to stop barking once the "threat" is gone, but if I hadn't they would keep barking long after whatever it was is gone.

19. Calistar

Calistar Well-Known Member

I have a 4 year old female and she's great. I know that if she's barking, there's a reason. And then there's my not-quite-2 year-old male who is dumb as a box of rocks and will bark at anything. I usually don't mind the barking at night because it means they're working. But I do worry about them bothering the neighbors. It's a deep booming woof though, not a yappy aggravating woof. Much easier to tune out.

20. alwaystj9

Apr 10, 2019
    Zachary, Louisiana
    Not into excessive barking. My daughter's dog who I got stuck with spends all day barking at Tractor Supply Customers. He is a terrier. He's so ugly he is still ugly and has one leg that sticks out and pee runs down it.

Gooseberry Creek and AlabamaGirl like this.