The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a question that I would like some input on. First off I have been drawing my own blood on my goats for test and was taught by my vet and have come to enjoy doing it. Can I charge to draw blood for others? Is that considered practicing if I clearly state I'm not a vet !

And the other question is I'm going to be taking a class through osu for parasite prevention in small ruminates at the beginning of nov. Am I able to tell people what parasites they have and there count for $$ with telling tx for said parasites? And clearly state I'm not a vet again.

This is one topic I would really like opinions on the legality of it. Thanks a bunch

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
*without giving tx advice?
I wanted to take this class to help improve my herd but was curious if I can use the knowledge in other ways

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Check your state laws very carefully. In my state I can do feet, horns, banding, fecals, etc. Any part of normal herd monitoring or health care BUT drawing blood with out a license on animals not your own or teaching someone to draw blood without said license is very illegal and will end you in jail with a very large fine.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
You would need to go to your state website. I know in Ohio, someone was given a cease and desist letter for banding and trimming toenails.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What would I google or to find what I need I've been looking on Oregon's website but can't seem to find anything

·
Premium Member
15,546 Posts
The drawing blood...all the laws I have read about it would make it illegal for anyone other than a licensed veterinarian. It falls under something like practicing vet med without a license. And the liability issues should something go wrong would be a big concern as well.

I'm not sure what would have to be done, if anything, to do the parasite check.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So what I gather from that website per Oregon's laws: I cannot draw blood for anyone or show them, correct?
I cannot give vaccines
But what I didn't see was anything about doing fecals, hoof trimming, dehorning.

I totally understand the law about practicing without a license , I'm a dental assistant by trade. I just what to know what's ok and what's not ok , so I know before I do something that's illegal

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
You can vaccinate and disbud here...This part

(2) Nothing in ORS 686.020 (1)(a) shall be so construed as to prevent any person or the agent or employee of the person from practicing veterinary medicine and surgery or dentistry in a humane manner on any animal belonging to the person, agent or employee or >> for gratuitous services or >>from dehorning and vaccinating cattle for the person, agent or employee

Blood draws are mentioned separately in the law and specifically banned. Someone I know got busted for this last year. The only thing that she had to stop doing was blood draws and teaching blood draws. She still has her business doing everything else.
Oh, you can't sell them the vaccine...You can buy it for them but, can't sell it. Once you open their bottle, it is theirs and must stay in their possession.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can you show someone how todo blood draws just out of showing with no money or compensation exchange?

·
I'm watching you
22,272 Posts
Yes, you can come over and help me do blood draws as a friend, thanks, when should I expect you? :D

You can't advertise such a service though. The owner must be present and in control of what is going on.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts