Servicing Bucks

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by monstersateme, Feb 12, 2011.

  1. monstersateme

    monstersateme New Member

    Dec 25, 2009
    NW Oregon
    So I have this wonderful buck and I would Love to Stud him out a few times but I'm not quite sure how I should go about doing that. Should they bring me their doe? Or what should go on there? Any information you guys have would be appreciated!
    Thanks much!
    :eek:hlala: ~Sierra :lovey:
  2. KW Farms

    KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

    Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Yeah, bringing the doe to you would be best.
    You can do driveway breeding (breed the doe when the owner brings her over in heat) or just keep the doe there for a week or two until she comes into heat.

    I personally don't do outside service, but if I did...i'd want to have paperwork showing the doe is CAE and CL tested neg. You should probably write up a contract should anything happen to the doe. And also put the service/board fee on it as well and have 2 copies, one for you, one for the doe owner.

    If you are confortable with leasing your buck I have heard of people doing it that way, but it seems a little more risky and you'd have to be very trusting of the doe owner.

    Most people bring the doe to the buck though. ;)

  3. StaceyRosado

    StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

    Oct 4, 2007
    I have people bring their doe to me either in heat for a driveway breeding or I will board (for a fee and with CAE, CL and Johnes testing) for up to 3 weeks.

    I have lent my buck out biut only to friends and not to anyone I don't know. Usually in that case I do one fee and then each additional service memo is like 10.00 or something like that.
  4. monstersateme

    monstersateme New Member

    Dec 25, 2009
    NW Oregon
    Thanks so much g :stars: uys!