The Goat Spot Forum banner

61 - 80 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
The does are very pretty, happy kidding. Will wait with the rest of you.lol Israel is trying out his new modeling job poses. Trying for the cover of Doe's Digest.:)

Reactions: Goat_Scout

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Ok, well..... where do I start. (headsmash)

We divided this rye pasture into 7 small paddocks for the cows to rotationally graze in. Since we used only one strand of electric wire, the goats can still duck under and go in every single paddock, which is fine with me.
But lately, the cows have been VERY troublesome and keep going under/through the wire and completely messing up the entire pasture. So that is what you see behind Israel. Mass destruction.
Ah gotcha. I was like HOW is she keepin them in one strand lol. We has the rope stuff three or four strands and our buck walked right though it. But it was the yellow and black rope stuff and not so sturdy. They stay in the netting jus fine.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Thanks everyone! February can't come soon enough!!

Oh and I have some not-so-great news. 'Lil Dipity is pregnant. :(
A few weeks ago I noticed that she had a teensy weensy udder starting, but since she's always been a bit chubby, I thought it was just that-- chub. But nope! It's never that simple...

This fall/early winter we were having a bunch of problems with her jumping the fence, but then we put her in the pasture with the meat goats and she finally stayed put. I guess that on one occasion while being a mini Houdini, she took the opportunity to visit the buck pen.
She's a 10 month old Mini-Lamancha out of my favorite doe (for those of you who remember, the one that died last year from what we think was plant poisoning). She could be bred to either one of the Nubian boys, or maybe the Kiko buck that we borrowed for 2 months. All I know is, she's a naughty, naughty girl! (headsmash)(headsmash)

IMG_0062.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Day 136 for Demelza. She's perfectly mastered the late pregnancy "goat grunt" (I attached a random video - not my goats - to show you what it sounds like)!
I've never had a goat be so whiney/demanding while pregnant. These last couple weeks she just won't stop talking when I'm around-- mumbling/grumbling while she's eating, while she's sleeping, even while she's walking around, poor girl! (embarrassed)

IMG_2842.JPG

IMG_2847.JPG

IMG_2829.JPG

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Oh my. I guess I thought the moaning and groaning was normal for goats. Two of my girls sounded just like that video for over a month before kidding last year
Never been around pregnant does.

Reactions: Goat_Scout

·
Registered
579 Posts
It's the quiet ones you have to watch they'll surprise you every time!
;)
It's true! I thought my Miss Piggy (the one who's now started moaning and groaning last night) looked closer than any of my other girls while my other girls didn't look remotely close. Yet here we are, 3 girls with kids and Miss Piggy still nothing ha ha She is her mother's daughter because Lucy does the same dramatic whining towards the end.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
We FINALLY have a registered herd name with ADGA! :coolmoves: SetAFire, after one of my favorite songs. :clapping:

I've applied for a herd name before and none of the names I wanted were available. I was going to go with Zaree (as y'all saw by my thread title) but since it didn't get accepted and my 2nd choice did, I'm going to change the thread title to my new herd name. I just didn't want y'all to be confused, which is why I'm mentioning it. :D

ANYWAY, here are my preggo pictures for the day:

IMG_2898.jpg

Matilda (far left) is way bigger around than she was last year, when she had a single buckling. I'm reeeeaaalllyyy hoping she'll have at least twins this time! (pray)
IMG_2891.JPG

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 · (Edited)
Today we started kidding watch for the Nubians! Day 145 for Demelza.

IMG_0272.JPG

IMG_0287.JPG

And also Magnolia is not doing great. Last night she was pooping logs, and now today its been very runny (almost watery consistency). She's not producing much milk anymore so her kids have been crying most of the day. :(

I brought our vet a fecal sample early this morning but they weren't able to get the results back to me until a couple hours ago. She has a decent amount of Barber Pole worms. Luckily though, early this morning, I decided to deworm her with Prohibit (very effective against BP) since that's what has plagued our herd the most. Tonight she's already been looking a bit perkier, but still doesn't have much milk. But my main concern now is to keep her hydrated.
I pulled both kids because with their constant nursing (because of the lack of milk) they were just stressing her out. She really isn't crying for them at all, for which I'm glad. Her mostly black kid (Jackson) is taking to the bottle very well but Stonewall just isn't having it. So he is pretty stressed out right now, poor little guy. Between a couple feedings I did manage to get a few ounces in him.
I'm seriously thinking of selling them together as bottle babies if they both adjust well to the bottle. Magnolia is more of pet and I'll actually save money on them if I sell them now verses bottle raising them or waiting for Magnolia's milk production to come up. I just hope my girl will be OK. (pray)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
Ok, so Demelza just had TRIPLETS a few hours ago! (dance) One itty bitty doeling who came out breech, and two nice sized bucklings. All are doing great so far. I did have to milk out a couple cups from Demelza and bottle feed because she doesn't understand the whole nursing thing yet. But she is licking and cleaning them well.

The doeling and one of the bucklings were shivering a lot so I brought them inside with a heating pad. They are now snuggled down together in their box. :inlove:

Pictures to come!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
I kept the kids inside for the night because they were still pretty weak, but now they are doing well and back outside with Demelza. When she saw me coming this morning with them in a plastic container, she shrieked louder than I've ever heard her yell before! She was so glad to get them back. :)
I still have to hold her to let them nurse, but she is being a good mama otherwise. Both bucklings are nursing well on her despite being on bottles all day yesterday, but the doeling flat out refused to drink from her, which is fine with me. She's so little I'd rather be able to tell how much milk she's getting each day. So she'll be with Demelza and the boys but I will be bottle feeding her.

Doeling (first born)
IMG_0358.JPG

Buckling #1 (he's quite a character already! (rofl))
IMG_0389.JPG

Buckling #2
IMG_0348.JPG

IMG_0400.JPG
IMG_0337.JPG

61 - 80 of 167 Posts