The Goat Spot Forum banner

81 - 100 of 167 Posts

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Don't feed babies milk from a bowl if that was meant above.

Have you milked out some milk so mama is more comfortable.
If she is too tight, she is sore and won't allow the kids to nurse. Also check for mastitis ect.
After you do this, and milk is good, feed it to her bab
Also at the same time use your index finger to mimic a teat, move your finger slightly in and out yet leaving it in the mouth and hope you get a suck reflex.
When you do, put the kid on mama.

Keep working with the kids to nurse. Tie her up or put her in a stanchion. Tie up one back leg, the side you are working on, so she doesn't kick. Remember there are two sides.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
Oh no, I haven't been feeding milk from a bowl. The kids are just drinking from bottles and from mom. :)

Yes I am milking Demelza 2x a day, and she's now making plenty of milk for all the babies. She wasn't kicking them or anything, she just kept turning around to lick them instead of standing still. She's got the hang of it now.

She did have pretty bad edema in her rear udder but it's gone down a lot. Both bucklings are nursing all by themselves, but I still have to go out there every few hours and hold the doeling to nurse (she finally took the teat, instead of just wanting the bottle). And I'm giving her bottles at night.

Oh and Matilda's udder blew up overnight and I think she's in early labor. (dance) Hoping for a healthy set of twins!

·
Registered
Capriculturalist and Goat Slave
1,532 Posts
Oh my word those babies are adorable!!!!!!!!

And yay for 2 more! Can't wait for pics!

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Demelza's babies are doing so well! They are very, very energetic - bouncing and hopping every which way!
IMG_0486.JPG

IMG_0525.JPG
IMG_0443.JPG
IMG_0462.JPG
IMG_0489.JPG

This fella is looking really nice. He's super sweet too. :inlove:
IMG_0415.JPG
IMG_0497.JPG

And little Cherub (the doeling) does this whenever I go out of sight, even for a second. Yelling, yelling, yelling! She's such a lap baby already. :inlove: I keep accidentally bringing her into the house. (rofl)
IMG_0419.JPG

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Accidently:funnytech:! Congratulations on the two more! Maybe you could have a serious talk with your herd sire. Demelza's kids have some serious ears going on! Your little doeling is a precious little girl. I have a yard full of screamers that let loose when they hear or see me. I think it is funny, only slightly irritating.:)

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Odd, my goats never screamed, only said softly "Hallo". True, they had hay and water ad lib, but I was their key to nice foraging walks, milking with goodies, and various other advantages.

If they yelled, it was urgent and serious.

81 - 100 of 167 Posts