The Goat Spot Forum banner

101 - 120 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #102 · (Edited)
Thanks everyone! I've really been enjoying these kiddos. :) We brought Cherub (D's doeling) and Solomon (D's black buckling) to a Crawfish boil this afternoon so that our friends could see them. And my little sister's 7 year old friend, who came over on Friday, carried Cherub all over our property with her. (rofl) Needless to say, she's a hit! She loves spending time with people.

We were just given a pair of 2 week old ewe lambs from a cattle and sheep rancher we know. She runs at least around 200 sheep I think, and she has at least 100 cattle, so she has no time to bottle feed. She said she usually just lets the rejected or runty lambs die. :(
Both lambs were covered in matted poop/mud, and smelled SO DISGUSTING!
I gave them each a bath as soon as I got them home. One lamb had/has diarrhea and her mouth was ice cold when I got her, but we were able to warm her up, and now both have full bellies after nursing on Matilda (Matilda was NOT happy, poor girl).

Oh, and to add to the excitement, Semi Sweet went from an empty, shrunken up udder to a decently full, tight udder in the 3 hours I was at the crawfish boil. So I'm guessing we'll have a single buckling (with our luck (headsmash)) in 36 hours-ish if she takes after Matilda.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
... carried Cherub all over our property with her. (rofl) Needless to say, she's a hit! She loves spending time with people.
Photos? Photos of lambs? (Before & after bath ...) Awesome you got them, they will be nice pets, and add to your freezer if you cannot keep them. Or, are you going to have sheep as well now? I personally thought I could use my goat knowledge when I got sheep, but that was not much.

Disgusting to hear that your friend cannot even kill the lambs that are not doing well. This is really the back side of the meat industry - live animals reduced to things.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #105 · (Edited)
Ok, I finally got some photos of the lambs! The black one is very healthy and hearty. The white one is still recovering from her diarrhea, but she is definitely on the mend. They will take bottles or an udder without second thought, so they are easy peasy. :)

On the other hand, Semi Sweet did NOT follow after Matilda (who waited 36 hours after her udder ballooned before she kidded), but instead, started having contractions about 15 minutes before I needed to leave for a communications class at our church (I'd missed the one last Sunday because Demelza was in labor, so I really needed to go to this one). I was sure that she would be ok, seeing as this was her 3rd freshening, so I left anyway.
I came back an hour later to quickly check on them before the church service started, and she had had the cutest little pink-nosed DOELING! They are both doing great, and right now the doeling is curled up with Cherub under a heat lamp in the "nursery". It was pretty chilly this morning so they were both shivering.

IMG_0547.JPG
IMG_0548.JPG
IMG_0552.JPG
IMG_0564.JPG

And here are the lambs. I don't if we will keep them forever, because running them with the goats and juggling the mineral thing (sheep can't have much copper, while goats need copper) might prove difficult. And if we do keep them, that means I'd have to find a nice ram to breed them to at some point. I still think goat kids are way cuter, but these 2 are pretty darn cute all the same!
IMG_0543.JPG
IMG_0545.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG

Oh and @Trollmor - unfortunately I don't have any "before" pictures of the lambs. I should've got some though, they were a sight to see! The white lamb wasn't really white, and she smelled worse than rotten eggs. Now they both smell like minty dog shampoo. (thumbup)

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
15 minutes ... That is the time when we need to have a decision in advance: If X happens, I will do Y ...

Pink Nose, what an adorable sweetie! She has not a complete "Creator's Thumb Grip", but rather close. (Make believe she was white, and the Creator gripped her with thumb and forefinger, and dipped her into the colour of wild, that brown-with-ale.)

Lambs are also pretty, but I would have mistaken Blackie for a kid. No curls!! :p I cannot wait until they smell SHEEP! *sheepish smiley*

I am not so very sad that I did not have to smell them before the bath ...

But. I wonder not that the lambs do not survive, if they have a place where they can GET that dirty. Not exactly a healthy bath for newcomers to this world. If your friend does not understand ethic views, maybe she will understand if you talk about economic ones.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #109 ·
awwwww!
by the way what do you use to take your pictures? thay are amazing!
Thanks! It's a Canon EOS Rebel T1i, whatever that means. (rofl) I know nothing about cameras except that I do like it a lot. It was my mom's camera, but after it had been in storage for a while she gave it to me.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #110 ·
I am not so very sad that I did not have to smell them before the bath ...

But. I wonder not that the lambs do not survive, if they have a place where they can GET that dirty. Not exactly a healthy bath for newcomers to this world. If your friend does not understand ethic views, maybe she will understand if you talk about economic ones.
Well she has such a big operation that it would be hard for her to save every lamb, even if she did try. I do wonder why she saved these ones though... She's more of a "let nature take it's course" kind of gal.

Oh and I think they were really dirty because all she had to put them in was a large dog run. She has very nice herding dogs that she trains, and they stay in the dog runs during the day. The run was about half grass half dirt/poo, but I think the biggest reason the lambs were so dirty was because the white one had bad diarrhea (BAD DIARRHEA, it got everywhere), and it rubbed off onto the black one.

I think we will be getting more lambs from her. They are free, so it would be a good way of making money I think. I wouldn't want to personally keep more than 2 though. As of right now, goats rule the roost here! (rofl)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #111 ·
Oh and also - the lambs were on their mama at birth. They were from a set of triplets. But some "city folk" (her far off relatives I think) came by and were holding/touching the lambs and for that reason the mama rejected them.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Well she has such a big operation
That is my point. Too many animals for one single human to look after, that is simply impossible to do in a good way. Industry vs. humanity ...
Oh and also - the lambs were on their mama at birth. They were from a set of triplets. But some "city folk" (her far off relatives I think) came by and were holding/touching the lambs and for that reason the mama rejected them.
????? An ewe who does not recognize her own lambs just because somebody has touched them? ???

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #114 ·
Her and her husband care for all of them. All of her sheep and cattle look to be in excellent condition, and they are all very, very nice animals. I think what I meant was she doesn't have the time/doesn't want to be bothered with having to raise dozens of bottle lambs each year. Which I can understand, bottle babies are SO time consuming! But I agree with you, I think she COULD make more of an effort to save and find buyers for them. She did say that one time a lady came with a big van and took any orphaned/rejected lambs she had at that time. I'm thinking of doing the same. :clever:

Mama's don't disown from our touch alone.

They will if you have another does scent on you and then touch the kid with their bodily fluids after birth.
An ewe who does not recognize her own lambs just because somebody has touched them? ???
And yes, I was wondering that too. But that's just what she said. :shrug: :shrug: I don't have the specifics of the situation....

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
I am sure your friend is trying her best to do a good job. But I am still convinced that with so many animals on one or two persons, it is simply impossible to see all the individuals.

(Or, do you say make a good job?)

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #120 ·
For the past week we've been very, very busy, so I haven't had much time to get on TGS. Here's a brief update:

The sheep rancher gave us another lamb last Saturday (he was abandoned at birth, still covered in birthing fluid when we picked him up). To make a long story short, he had nerve damage (couldn't walk at all) and his blood circulation wasn't good. This morning we decided to put him to sleep. :( So I've honestly not been in the best of spirits today. But, going out and spending time with the 11 healthy babies we have has helped immensely.

We are leaving early tomorrow morning to go on a 4 day family vacation. So this whole week I've been busy preparing everything for our farm sitter (she's awesome :)), which has been quite a task!

And I just realized that Dipity (according to her heats) is either due on March 5th or March 26th. So she may kid while we're gone! :eek:ops2: I'm a little worried about that, but hopefully all will go well. I'm sure she has at least twins in there, she's absolutely HUGE. Despite her bulging belly, she's just as naughty as ever, she is getting out of the fence ALL. THE. TIME. I'm getting sick of it, so she's going to be sold once she safely kids. She was my special bottle baby out of my favorite goat (the one that died last year), so selling her was a hard decision, but I just can't stand Houdini goats. :shrug: She's making life way harder than it needs to be, and I don't want to risk her getting bred to my Nubian bucks again next year.

Oh and on the 20th we added another future herd sire to the farm. You see, I have this horrible thing called buck addiction. (rofl) I really didn't NEED another buck, but what's done is done. :D
Even at this age, he's so very wide, I love it!
IMG_0751.JPG

I can never stay sad for long when I'm with these guys :)
IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG
IMG_0835.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0831.JPG
IMG_0832.JPG
IMG_0836.JPG
IMG_0837.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG

101 - 120 of 167 Posts